•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Question about buying my next telescope

astrophotography equipment reflector refractor SCT
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ebrahem

Ebrahem

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 August 2020 - 03:08 AM

Hello everyone.

I spent 2 years with explore scientific ed80 (mounted on AVX) with ASI 294 mc pro.

Now ordered ASI183mm pro with Narrowband filters.

I want more reach for astrophotography mainly (galaxies and other small DSO).

Please any advice regarding buying my next telescope.

Explore Scientific 127 (FCD100orFCD1?)

Explore Scientific 102mm f/7 Triplet(FCD100orFCD1?)

Meade 6000 Series 115 ED f/5.7 Triplet

iOptron Versa 108 ED Apochromatic

Celestron Edge HD 8 inch with 0.7 reducer

Thanks.

#2 Cbaxter

Cbaxter

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 06 August 2020 - 03:35 AM

Hello,

The ES127 is very heavy for an AVX mount. My first AP mount was an AVX and I still use it for light portable payloads. I have used the ES127 on the AVX with autoguiding, results were frustration and unusable subs. If you want reach for planetary nebula and small galaxies I recommend something light like a C6 SCT or possibly an C8 SCT. I have used a C8 with a reducer on the AVX numerous times but never was able to achieve acceptable results. However, I have only ever tried a dedicated guide scope. It may be possible (based on research) to achieve subjectively acceptable results using an off axis guider with a long focal length scope on the AVX. Keep in mind though, that the AVX has a fairly low payload weight limit, and for decent performance your entire payload will need to be about half of the rated max mount payload.

Regards.
  • PirateMike likes this

#3 Ebrahem

Ebrahem

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 August 2020 - 06:39 AM

Thanks.

What about the other scopes?
Do you think they are good as a next step (after ed80)

#4 bobhen

bobhen

Skylab

Posted 06 August 2020 - 06:55 AM

For small objects like galaxies you want image scale (focal length) so you should consider an SCT. 

Bob

#5 Cbaxter

Cbaxter

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 06 August 2020 - 07:39 AM

Thanks.

What about the other scopes?
Do you think they are good as a next step (after ed80)

With the AVX mount's weight limit I would recommend looking at light weight kits, 15 pounds total (half of the AVX rated max limit), including scope, rings, dovetail, guide scope/camera, and imaging camera. The reality is that the AVX mount does not track nor autoguid well enough to support very long focal lengths. Honestly, no matter what I did to my AVX mount I never felt that it was ever accurate enough (with autoguiding and a sub 1 arc minute polar alignment) to support long exposures for focal lengths longer than 600mm. Anyway, that is my experience.

Regards.

#6 Ebrahem

Ebrahem

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 August 2020 - 12:45 PM

Yes I see that.
skywatcher eq6-r pro will be my next mount soon.
  • PirateMike and Cbaxter like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, equipment, reflector, refractor, SCT

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics