•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Cleaning Corrector Plates

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Deepskyclusterstruck

Deepskyclusterstruck

Vostok 1

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 06 August 2020 - 03:08 AM

Is it possible to clean a corrector plate with just water and cue tips and without removing the plate itself?

#2 db2005

db2005

Apollo

• Loc: Living in Denmark, under Bortle 5/6 skies.

Posted 06 August 2020 - 04:32 AM

I use Baader Optical Wonder and Plain white Kleenex. I have never removed the corrector plate.

#3 Deepskyclusterstruck

Deepskyclusterstruck

Vostok 1

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 06 August 2020 - 05:04 AM

Thank you for your quick response. My understanding is that it is not ,unfortunately, available in the US.

#4 Deepskyclusterstruck

Deepskyclusterstruck

Vostok 1

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 06 August 2020 - 05:18 AM

The cover came off indoors. I don't know for how long. It's a new scope. Not used yet there is now clearly something on it. Don't know if from temperature changes in the room or dust or both. I don't really want to send it anywhere for cleaning but will if I must. It's not pollen because it's never been outside.

#5 db2005

db2005

Apollo

• Loc: Living in Denmark, under Bortle 5/6 skies.

Posted 06 August 2020 - 06:29 AM

You can most likely use a blower bulb to blow off most of the the dust without even touching the corrector plate. You can use other lens cleaning fluids. I don't know what kinds are available where you live, but in general, the correct cleaning procedure is more important than using a specific brand of cleaning fluid. Some SCT owners report development of a "fog" on the inside of corrector plate. I haven't seen that yet on mine.

#6 mrowlands

mrowlands

Messenger

• Loc: WI

Posted 06 August 2020 - 07:35 AM

I cleaned my 8 inch corrector plate without removing it, with q-tips - about one square inch at a time.  I think I may have used a Zeiss cleaning fluid.  Either that or an isopropyl alcohol and distilled water solution.  I don't think water by itself will do much.

It had a film like layer which I assume was from dew, pollen, and dust over several years, and the views were hazy.  After cleaning, it was back to like-new.

Mike R.

#7 Nippon

Nippon

Soyuz

• Loc: Central Florida

Posted 06 August 2020 - 08:36 AM

Camera lens cleaners designed for multi coated lenses work well and seem to me to leave less residue. Just moisture from your breath will remove water soluble stains. The important thing is to use a blower brush to remove abrasive particles before cleaning. Weather you use a proper cleaning cloth, lens tissues, cotton balls, Etc. don't use the same part of the cloth for more than one light pass or the same tissue or cotton ball for more than one light pass. 

#8 Deepskyclusterstruck

Deepskyclusterstruck

Vostok 1

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 06 August 2020 - 04:50 PM

Thank you one and all.

#9 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 06 August 2020 - 04:51 PM

Is it possible to clean a corrector plate with just water and cue tips and without removing the plate itself?

Possible although faster with cotton balls. 

I knew of someone who cleaned an NS11GPS Corrector Plate with a..........Lens Pen.  Without scratching it.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics