•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SVX140T, Tec 140, or other scope for imaging?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 PirateMike

PirateMike

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: A Green Dot On A Blue Sea

Posted 06 August 2020 - 05:51 AM

Which 140mm scope (or about) would you suggest I purchase for use in imaging. Would I be better off getting a reflector?... and why?

I will be purchasing a new scope and premium mount in about 6 months once the funds become available.

Miguel   8-)

#2 ManuelJ

ManuelJ

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Madrid, Spain

Posted 06 August 2020 - 06:44 AM

Follow the safe route: TEC 140 + QUADTCC

• rockstarbill and PirateMike like this

#3 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 06 August 2020 - 05:39 PM

Safest route would be the TEC 140 however IME It's spec'd more for the visual user (in regards to CA) and although It can and has been used for AP, I think I'd

look for something better CA corrected.

This looks promising and it shorter (F/L) and lighter however I have no experience with it.

Bottom line is these two (above) would be my choice for visual however for AP I'd go with the Tak TOA 130 for it's near CA-free reputation.

• PirateMike likes this

#4 JMW

JMW

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 06 August 2020 - 06:56 PM

There is a TEC made field flatter, corrector for the TEC 140 that does well on improving the imaging color correction. 

• PirateMike likes this

#5 starryhtx

starryhtx

Messenger

• -----

Posted 06 August 2020 - 09:47 PM

I'd get the StellarVue, because I'm not a fan of oil spacing. 

• epdreher, Jon_Doh and PirateMike like this

#6 PirateMike

PirateMike

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 August 2020 - 10:52 PM

Safest route would be the TEC 140 however IME It's spec'd more for the visual user (in regards to CA) and although It can and has been used for AP, I think I'd

look for something better CA corrected.

This looks promising and it shorter (F/L) and lighter however I have no experience with it.

Bottom line is these two (above) would be my choice for visual however for AP I'd go with the Tak TOA 130 for it's near CA-free reputation.

I just knew that some one would mention the Tak 130. I'm a Tak fan for sure

and have been looking at the 120mm for a while. I know it's smaller than 140mm but...

I'll keep both in mind. waytogo.gif

Miguel  8-)

#7 PirateMike

PirateMike

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 August 2020 - 11:05 PM

What about APM LZOS scopes?

Miguel   8-)

#8 fate187

fate187

Messenger

• Loc: Saxony, Germany

Posted 07 August 2020 - 12:05 AM

LZOS are equally well as TEC140. Quite some choices when it comes to LZOS: 123/130/152 and beyond. The 123 and 130 come in f/6. And they work well with Riccardi reducers and flatteners. I have read, that the new badge of reducer or flattener from Riccardi suffers from internal reflection issues. Do your research ;).

TEC140 + Tec Flattener (or the 0.9 reducer) and/or AP 0.72 reducer are excellent choices. 

CS

• PirateMike likes this

#9 ManuelJ

ManuelJ

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Madrid, Spain

Posted 07 August 2020 - 05:53 AM

What about APM LZOS scopes?

Miguel   8-)

Nice, but don't use the Riccardi Reducer, it is a piece of junk. Go for the QUADTCC.

• rockstarbill and PirateMike like this

#10 bobhen

bobhen

Skylab

Posted 07 August 2020 - 07:01 AM

I'd get the StellarVue, because I'm not a fan of oil spacing. 

Oil actually has some advantages with acclimation time and OTA weight.

One would have the same probability of an oil issue as one would have with getting a fungus between the elements of an air-spaced lens – both are very low.  

Bob

• PirateMike likes this

#11 bobhen

bobhen

Skylab

Posted 07 August 2020 - 07:05 AM

TEC

CFF

Takahashi

APM

Astro-Physics, if you can find one

These are all "proven" high-quality refractors with a track record. Just pick the one that meets your needs. 

Bob

• PirateMike likes this

#12 bobhen

bobhen

Skylab

Posted 07 August 2020 - 07:13 AM

Which 140mm scope (or about) would you suggest I purchase for use in imaging. Would I be better off getting a reflector?... and why?

A 140mm imaging refractor is usually pretty fast and can be made faster. These are used to image a wide area of the sky for capturing somewhat large objects.

If you want to image small stuff like planetary nebula and most galaxies, then you need a scope with a linger FL, to get image scale,  like a C11 or some other exotic compound scope. And you better get a great, high-end mount because imaging at longer FLs can be more challenging.

Bob

Edited by bobhen, 07 August 2020 - 07:14 AM.

• PirateMike likes this

#13 PirateMike

PirateMike

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 August 2020 - 01:51 PM

A 140mm imaging refractor is usually pretty fast and can be made faster. These are used to image a wide area of the sky for capturing somewhat large objects.

If you want to image small stuff like planetary nebula and most galaxies, then you need a scope with a linger FL, to get image scale,  like a C11 or some other exotic compound scope. And you better get a great, high-end mount because imaging at longer FLs can be more challenging.

Bob

Hey Bob,

I was thinking the same things. I'm looking at the Mach2 (if I can get one) or an 1100 (my second choice). I would like a nice CDK type scope but they are too costly as far as I can tell. And yes, I am looking for something to "zoom in" on space.

Oh boy, picking out scopes is tough! And then there is the camera to consider. tongue2.gif

Miguel   8-)

Edited by PirateMike, 07 August 2020 - 01:53 PM.

#14 bobhen

bobhen

Skylab

Posted 07 August 2020 - 04:27 PM

Hey Bob,

I was thinking the same things. I'm looking at the Mach2 (if I can get one) or an 1100 (my second choice). I would like a nice CDK type scope but they are too costly as far as I can tell. And yes, I am looking for something to "zoom in" on space.

Oh boy, picking out scopes is tough! And then there is the camera to consider. tongue2.gif

Miguel   8-)

A new Mach 2 and a C11 Edge (or even a regular C11 if budgets are tight) might be an option. You can also get a reducer for the C11. The mount is the most important part of imaging, especially at longer FLs. So put your imaging budget into a mount first. You’ll get perfect star images with a Mach 2 and a C11, if setup correctly.

First decide on what you want to accomplish and then decide on the mount and scope – not the other way round.

Bob

• PirateMike likes this

#15 PirateMike

PirateMike

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 August 2020 - 01:40 AM

First decide on what you want to accomplish and then decide on the mount and scope – not the other way round.

You are correct.

My main goal is to shoot in longer FL's to get closer than I can now. My RC8 is the longest scope I have which is of decent length.

I'm now thinking of just getting a premium mount and work with that until it's all set and running properly. My impression with AP mounts is that there is a long software learning curve to climb before they can perform to their fullest. Any thoughts on that belief?

Miguel   8-)

Edited by PirateMike, 08 August 2020 - 01:40 AM.

#16 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Cosmos

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 08 August 2020 - 01:54 AM

AP mounts are simple to use. Very simple and very effective.
  • Ken Sturrock, epdreher and PirateMike like this

#17 PirateMike

PirateMike

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 August 2020 - 02:03 AM

Ahh Bill, thanks.  waytogo.gif

#18 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Cosmos

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 08 August 2020 - 02:15 AM

As for the scope, I'd buy a AP130GTX via a wanted ad. There is a production run in progress now so you'll likely find someone that gets cold feet and decides to sell.

Edited by rockstarbill, 08 August 2020 - 02:15 AM.

• PirateMike likes this

#19 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 09 August 2020 - 02:19 PM

One thing to consider when purchasing a refractor is how wide the imaging circle is and whether or not you will need a flattener. I'm happy with all of my three refractors even the F7 one and have never bothered with a reducer. At the same time, I was surprised 3 years ago when I mounted my AP155EDF with an APS sized chip for the first time and got oblong stars in the corners! An email (at 11PM) to AP with an example produced a return email the next day telling me that I needed a flattener. So, 650 dollars later all was well. If you stick to that ASI1600 you shouldn't really need a flattener. 

If I were buying a replacement for my 10 year old TV127is, it would be an AP130GTX or even an earlier one. One of my observatory partners has one with the flattener/reducer and the raw data is just amazing using a full frame camera. 

You should also, since you have time, do some research about all of the things that you will need - rings, adapters, etc. These can really add both cost and complexity to a purchase. The price tag may or may not matter but complexity is never your friend in this hobby. That becomes particularly true as the focal length gets longer and longer.

Rgrds-ross

• rockstarbill likes this

#20 PirateMike

PirateMike

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 August 2020 - 06:31 PM

Hello Ross, how are things on your end?

I have a few scopes already, none as special as some of yours for sure. Want to trade, I like your AP155! lol.gif

Anyways I am aware of the additional costs to required to complete a setup, usually those bits and pieces cost a pretty penny.

I keep thinking a used AP would be wonderful, we'll just have to see.

Thanks for your input, much appreciated.

Have a nice day,

Miguel   8-)

#21 PirateMike

PirateMike

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 August 2020 - 06:32 PM

Hello Ross, how are things on your end?

I have a few scopes already, none as special as some of yours for sure. Want to trade, I like your AP155! lol.gif

Anyways I am aware of the additional costs required to complete a setup, usually those bits and pieces cost a pretty penny.

I keep thinking a used AP would be wonderful, we'll just have to see.

Thanks for your input, much appreciated.

Have a nice day,

Miguel   8-)

#22 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 10 August 2020 - 11:41 PM

Everything is good here these days. I now have my own remote observatory with two piers in it. Right now the 155 is awaiting a spacer from Precise Parts so that I can add the necessary flattener. My plan is to piggy back my WO71 on top which will give me three scopes out there every night when it's clear.

Rgrds-Ross

• PirateMike likes this

#23 PirateMike

PirateMike

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 August 2020 - 01:46 AM

Everything is good here these days. I now have my own remote observatory with two piers in it. Right now the 155 is awaiting a spacer from Precise Parts so that I can add the necessary flattener. My plan is to piggy back my WO71 on top which will give me three scopes out there every night when it's clear.

Rgrds-Ross

So I gather that you're not ready to trade away your AP155 quite yet. lol.gif

I envy your astro situation. I haven't been able to image since January of 2019 as life has been exceptionally brutal for me, one major catastrophe after another . But now I will be able to get back in the saddle and start imaging again very soon, i just need a little more prep time. Boy, I can't wait.

Good luck with the remote obs, I know you'll make good use of it.

Miguel   8-)

Edited by PirateMike, 11 August 2020 - 01:47 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics