•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Martian Clouds?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lainev

lainev

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 August 2020 - 06:41 AM

Clouds through clouds. Mars this morning. Did I capture Martian clouds? I set up to image Mars this morning. Seeing was average. By the time I got set up clouds started rolling in (wouldn't you know it.) Because of the clouds I was not able to achieve proper focus. I waited a bit and the clouds got worse so I tried a last ditch effort and started imaging. I managed to get about 30 seconds with the image fading in and out. I was able to stack 200 images out of 2,300. I usually get about 1,000 images out of 40,000. When I processed the image I noticed a lighter area that might be Martian clouds or could just be a processing artifact.

Celestron Nexstar Evolution 9.25, Orion 3x barlow, ZWO ASI385 camera, CPWI for telescope control, and SharpCap for image capture. Image processed in AutoStakkert, RegiStax, and Photoshop. I also use Celestron StarSense for initial alignment (really works well for me) and the Celestron Electronic Focus Motor (eliminates scope shake when focusing.) All of this is attached to an old Dell laptop. The laptop also allows me to run the scope over WiFi from the comfort of my home office.

200806 Mars Clouds.jpg

• Magellanico, Kenny V., roelb and 2 others like this

#2 Sandy Swede

Sandy Swede

Messenger

• Loc: Delaware beaches

Posted 06 August 2020 - 06:55 AM

Perhaps yes, especially if another imager posts photos with a similar light spot.  That would eliminate the possibility of it being an artifact of processing, but not 'evidence' of it being clouds.  At least to my pre- 8 am foggy brain.  lol.gif

BTW, nice photo.

#3 Jeff B1

Jeff B1

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: South Central Florida

Posted 06 August 2020 - 11:16 AM

A little tip; if you have a blue filter then hold it up to your eye and view your image.  The area you think is a cloud will brighten up.

• lainev likes this

#4 readkonrad

readkonrad

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 07 August 2020 - 08:11 PM

Maybe?!

https://www.universe...r-1800-km-long/

#5 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Gemini

• ****-
  • Loc: sebastian fl

Posted 07 August 2020 - 08:17 PM

could just be dust no

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics