•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Value of orange tube C8

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 06 August 2020 - 07:14 AM

I have been contacted by a local lady who has an orange tube C 8 purchased used some years ago and which has been in a garage ever sense. From photos she has sent it appears to lack the tripod/mount but appears otherwise intact, with some eyepieces and other accessories. I am going to look at it this weekend to check the condition of the optics. Assuming they are OK, what would be a typical value?

#2 otocycle

otocycle

Apollo

Posted 06 August 2020 - 07:26 AM

Based on previous used sales, it is worth $300 - $400, depending on the included accessories.  If it has not been deforked, make sure the power cord is included if you want to test the drive.

#3 Photo-Dave

Photo-Dave

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Reading, PA

Posted 06 August 2020 - 10:09 PM

I bought 2 late 70’s C8’s in the last few years. Both from Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist. The first was a OTA in the Fork Mount with a diagonal, power cord, 8” cap. The drive works, the paint is peeling. The front element needed cleaned on the outside was very dusty. Did not come with a Wedge or Tripod. I paid $125. After cleanup it’s a good useable scope. I had to buy a Wedge & Tripod I paid $150 for the set from a C8 Super.

A month later I found a C8 good paint. No 8” cap but the viewing port was capped. Dirty front element. Came in a case with finder scope, wedge, and original Tri-V chrome non adjustable tripod. No AC cord. Bought one off eBay for $15. Also bought a diagonal, and a few Plossle eyepieces in the used bin at my local scope shop for $10-12 each. Scope was also $125 so a good bargain.

Let the condition be your guide. If it has dirt or fungus inside and on the main mirror I wouldn’t pay much, it will take a lot of work & possibly re surfacing the mirror.

In my local Pro Scope shop they often have older SCT’s Celestron & Meads sometimes with slow motion controls, eyepieces and clean optics for $4-500. Had I known that I would have bought one of theirs.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics