•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jupiter 29 July & 1 August, Saturn 21 vs 24 July etc

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Foc

Foc

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: South Canberra

Posted 06 August 2020 - 07:24 AM

Celestron C8 with ASI162mc and Lunt 60mm tilt tuned single echelon. Late July early August.

Generally unexciting seeing or seeing heavily impacted by high cloud in Canberra lately, I have had quite a few nights trying and it has filled up all my drives, giving me lots of stuff to look at which is good, but in the absence of any very good results I have again followed Jim Hacker from the BBCs "Yes Minister" and gone for a bit of light and color with some quantity rather than quality.

For Jupiter the best seeing was in a short session on the 29th July (1) and a very small part of a session on 1 August (4) local time. These are just at the verge of producing very good results.  In combination in this presentation they look a little like my eyes after astronomy induced sleep deprivation.

I have contrasted Saturn on the 21st and 24th July (images 2 and 3 respectively) possibly showing the Seeliger effect or given the variable seeing quite possibly instead showing what Mark (Lacaille) refers to as the Klutz effect.

To provide a much needed bit of color, I beg your indulgence for this one off introduction of out of forum subject matter namely two images of the sun taken using my ZWO 290mm with my Tilt-Tuned Lunt 60mm showing' sunspot AR2767 (5) from 24 July and with a large prominence on 31 July (6).

Then back on track with the moon (7) using the ASI 162mc and to tame conditons an Astronomik IR-bypass filter ProPlanet 642. The phase was 97.5% phase on 2 August and the image is displaying craters Hevelius and Cavalerius.   And finally to either prove I do get up early sometimes or that there are serious limits to the atmospheric taming ability of the IR bypass filter I include Venus (8) and Mars (9) taken on 30 July after Meteoblue gave me an unfulfilled promise of better seeing around dawn.

Attached Thumbnails

• Some hard days nights in Late July and Early Aug.jpg

• Sunspot, roelb, KiwiRay and 4 others like this

#2 DMach

DMach

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: The most light-polluted country in the world :(

Posted 06 August 2020 - 10:38 AM

You definitely extract value from that C8, great results!

• Foc likes this

#3 sunnyday

sunnyday

Voyager 1

• Loc: the Canadian nebula .

Posted 06 August 2020 - 10:41 AM

superb photos , thanks .

• Foc likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics