•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Nikon 7x35 Action EX's

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Cook

Chris Cook

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Harwich, MA

Posted 06 August 2020 - 02:03 PM

Has anyone tried these binos?  If so, what do you think?  The 17mm ER peaked my interest since I wear glasses. 

https://www.bhphotov...EX_Extreme.html

Chris

#2 Pinac

Pinac

Apollo

• Loc: Switzerland

Posted 06 August 2020 - 02:41 PM

I have one of these.

My view:

like all models of the Action EX line (the Action EX models are among the best low price middle class binoculars on the market), the 7×35 offers good value for its price: nice wide field of view, quite good central sharpness, acceptable edge sharpness, waterproof design.

You can of course find better performance, but hardly at this price.

Pinac

• Jon Isaacs, Rich V., jrbarnett and 2 others like this

#3 Huan

Huan

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: New York

Posted 06 August 2020 - 04:38 PM

I read all the specs and bought one in 2017 because I'm a FOV guy but ended up returning it a week later. Everything is just not clear enough. I was very disappointed.

• Chris Cook likes this

#4 SMark

SMark

Skylab

• Loc: Atlanta, GA USA

Posted 06 August 2020 - 04:57 PM

The edges were fuzzier than I expected, but otherwise a very comfortable binocular to use. Hard to beat at that price too.

• Jon Isaacs, Chris Cook and Grimnir like this

#5 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

• Loc: Lancashire UK

Posted 06 August 2020 - 05:17 PM

I'm a bit surprised the lack of clarity was so obvious to discern under such dreadful sky conditions reported in the other thread by Huan, about the relationship between aperture and field of view! smile.gif

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#6 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 06 August 2020 - 06:57 PM

I have a pair of Nikon 7x35 Action Extremes.  

My experience with them agrees with Pinac's.  Well made, good central sharpness, acceptable edge sharpness, good eye relief, bright.  The field of view is reasonable and easily seen.  

I don't wear glasses so I can't comment on that aspect.  

They are good, solid binos, you might prefer one of the other Action Extremes.  

Jon

• Chris Cook likes this

#7 Chris Cook

Chris Cook

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Harwich, MA

Posted 07 August 2020 - 07:27 AM

I appreciate the feedback, thanks!  I have the Resolux 7x50's, which I really like, sharp, bright and very robust construction.  These Nikon's are lighter and will complement the Resolux's nicely for those longer duration Milky Way scans.

#8 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 10 August 2020 - 10:56 PM

Has anyone tried these binos?  If so, what do you think?  The 17mm ER peaked my interest since I wear glasses. 

Chris

I really like mine though for me, with no eye relief issues, I think the Aculon 7x35s (half the price, 11.8mm ER, not waterproof but much slimmer in the hand) is worth considering too.  In fact the 7x35 Action EXs are the binoculars that inspired me to get the 8x30 E2s.  I found I really enjoy panoramic sweeping and wanted something with a bit better field correction (both the Aculons and Action EXs have a bit of field curvature and my eyes don't have much accommodation these days).

Best,

Jim

• dd61999 likes this

#9 Grimnir

Grimnir

Apollo

• Loc: London, England.

Posted 11 August 2020 - 03:29 AM

Chris

They're pretty much as good as it gets at this price level.

Graham

#10 dd61999

dd61999

Ranger 4

• Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 11 August 2020 - 07:07 AM

These binoculars are not perfect. But those superwide views give you a “story” of  the heavens that stronger binoculars do not.

I was just using my 7x35 and 10x50 last night. While the 10x definitely brightens faint stars better.  I only saw stars or partial clusters....the 7x35 lets me see a nicer wider “field of stars”

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics