•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Has anyone heard from Rolo?

• Please log in to reply
408 replies to this topic

#326 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 25 October 2020 - 06:01 AM

I have a friend here that has had 5 transplants since childhood. He's a friend and a great asset. Another blessing from CN!

Thanks for the encouraging words"

my lightest test scope is a Q field with a Gitzo tripod. I don't care what it takes but I view Mars before it's too late!

You can always ask a freind or fam to set it up for you.  If i was close i would get that monster AP out for ya. I wanna look thru it as bad as you do.

• davidmcgo, Jeff B, RAKing and 3 others like this

#327 stmarch

stmarch

Sputnik

• Loc: Suffolk Cty, NY

Posted 25 October 2020 - 01:23 PM

Rolo, fantastic to hear you are recovering from the infections and your spirit is improved. Keep up the terrific recovery progress. As we talked on the phone, the steroids can effect your emotions and spirit.

Thanks for the acknowledgment, feel free to continue to ask and I will help as best I can. It sounds like you have a fine transplant team taking care of you.

For CN members not familiar with transplants, a few examples of the extent of cases happening.

Here in the NY metro area, there are many remarkable transplant patients. For example a patient who had 2 heart-kidney transplants (a very complex surgery done 2x).

Extraordinary donors as well. A case where a fireman needed a kidney transplant and a man who wanted to be the donor. Unfortunately., the rigorous organ match requirements did not pass. The same situation occurred with a Mom and daughter the next county over. Through a cross match program the fireman received the daughter's kidney and the Mom received the original donor's kidney. All are doing fine.

This program is fairly new for the last few years.

Hospital transplant centers have to be certified by the government since organ transplants are covered by Medicare. This includes all medical costs to the donor. 

The donor also has to undergo mental and physical medical testing. The same is true for the patient.

Hope some of this information helps members understand the processes Rolo and his donor had to undergo.

• Terra Nova, davidc135 and Defenderslideguitar like this

#328 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

Posted 25 October 2020 - 02:24 PM

Rolo, fantastic to hear you are recovering from the infections and your spirit is improved. Keep up the terrific recovery progress. As we talked on the phone, the steroids can effect your emotions and spirit.

Thanks for the acknowledgment, feel free to continue to ask and I will help as best I can. It sounds like you have a fine transplant team taking care of you.

For CN members not familiar with transplants, a few examples of the extent of cases happening.

Here in the NY metro area, there are many remarkable transplant patients. For example a patient who had 2 heart-kidney transplants (a very complex surgery done 2x).

Extraordinary donors as well. A case where a fireman needed a kidney transplant and a man who wanted to be the donor. Unfortunately., the rigorous organ match requirements did not pass. The same situation occurred with a Mom and daughter the next county over. Through a cross match program the fireman received the daughter's kidney and the Mom received the original donor's kidney. All are doing fine.

Hospital transplant centers have to be certified by the government since organ transplants are covered by Medicare. This includes all medical costs to the donor. 

The donor also has to undergo mental and physical medical testing. The same is true for the patient.

Hope some of this information helps members understand the processes Rolo and his donor had to undergo.

Who pays for the Donor? 

#329 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 25 October 2020 - 03:18 PM

Had no clue that Medicare pays for this.   

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

#330 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• Loc: GA

Posted 26 October 2020 - 03:50 PM

Had no clue that Medicare pays for this.   

they don't pay for everything. just dished out 1800.00 plus the meds for lifetime 300.00 a month for now. medicare will end in 3 years after transplant ,I'll be 58, then i'm on my own. no free lunch unless you're on medicaid.  

Been three months, most would be living a normal life by now. I'm barely  getting by. I'm sure more setbacks on the way. two steps forward one step back. still in pain every day lots of time in bed...frown.gif

Edited by rolo, 26 October 2020 - 03:51 PM.

• tim53, Jeff B, wfj and 5 others like this

#331 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 26 October 2020 - 05:03 PM

they don't pay for everything. just dished out 1800.00 plus the meds for lifetime 300.00 a month for now. medicare will end in 3 years after transplant ,I'll be 58, then i'm on my own. no free lunch unless you're on medicaid.  

Been three months, most would be living a normal life by now. I'm barely  getting by. I'm sure more setbacks on the way. two steps forward one step back. still in pain every day lots of time in bed...frown.gif

I know you will bounce back better than new.  I have complete confidence in you Rolo.

• rolo likes this

#332 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

Posted 26 October 2020 - 06:00 PM

correction: Benn three months since surgery...feel a bit better now. 

i'm very sensitive to prednisone. Terrible uncontrollable mood swings with anger, sadness, depression and every other mood you can imagen. 

• tim53, Jeff B, Scott99 and 6 others like this

#333 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 26 October 2020 - 06:04 PM

i'm very sensitive to prednisone. Terrible uncontrollable mood swings with anger, sadness, depression and every other mood you can imagen. 

sounds a normal day around here

• Kasmos likes this

#334 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

Posted 26 October 2020 - 06:05 PM

My sister was on all kind of pills for years. Lived for the day she got her pain pills every month as that was her life. It sure upset me and the last 10 years had put a lot of stress on me , i guess more than i ever really knew. None of us will ever know what it is like for Rolo, i would have given up i am sure. But he is strong in the heart and keeps fighting and that is much more than i can say for many other people i know including myself.

Edited by CHASLX200, 26 October 2020 - 06:06 PM.

• Vesper818, gts055, Jeff B and 6 others like this

#335 tag1260

tag1260

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Ohio, USA

Posted 26 October 2020 - 08:17 PM

I'm having my own health problems and tell people that I'm just too dumb to give up. You'll get there Rolo, Just keep putting one foot in front of the other until you reach your goal. Some days you'll scratch your way along and others you'll jog but you'll get there. We all have faith in you!!!

Edited by tag1260, 26 October 2020 - 08:19 PM.

• Jon Isaacs, rolo, RAKing and 4 others like this

#336 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

Posted 26 October 2020 - 09:30 PM

Lots of love in  CN that’s for sure!

• tim53, starmason, plyscope and 15 others like this

#337 Kasmos

Kasmos

Soyuz

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 27 October 2020 - 02:55 AM

Terrible uncontrollable mood swings with anger, sadness, depression and every other mood you can imagen. 

That's me on a good day. grin.gif

Keep On Keeping On!

• steve t and Terra Nova like this

#338 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 27 October 2020 - 07:25 AM

Hope you do not mind our humor Rolo.  I understand (from what you have told us) that you are going through some difficult times.  I cannot imagine what you are experiencing , but I can understand through what you share with us how you are feeling.   On the positive side you are communcating with us.   That you have the strenght to do so is wonderful.   I pray that soon you willl be able to set up a scope and enjoy the views.    I was thinking about these scopes where you pay for the remote use of them and watch the view on your computer screen.  

https://www.deepskywest.com/

https://www.itelescope.net/

• Jon Isaacs, rolo, steve t and 2 others like this

#339 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• topic starter
  • Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 27 October 2020 - 10:33 AM

Hang in there dear Friend. Things are bound to get better now!

Attached Thumbnails

• 23576112-508F-4726-9BDF-80D2FE53BF49.jpeg

• Jon Isaacs, rolo, RAKing and 7 others like this

#340 steve t

steve t

Viking 1

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 27 October 2020 - 12:58 PM

"i'm very sensitive to prednisone. Terrible uncontrollable mood swings with anger, sadness, depression and every other mood you can imagen."

I understand where you're coming from. Back in the 90's I had to take those pills for about a year. I thought I was losing my mind.

As others have said, hang in there, it will get better. It's great to have you back and posting.

• rolo, Terra Nova, mikerepp and 1 other like this

#341 Jeff B

Jeff B

Cosmos

Posted 02 November 2020 - 09:58 AM

How are you doing there buddy?

Jeff

• rolo likes this

#342 Scott99

Scott99

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: New England

Posted 02 November 2020 - 01:21 PM

I feel you on this!  had a massive reaction to a routine course of Prednisone for asthma - I can still remember my mind breaking down into a terrifying anxiety/panic attack while watching the Superbowl in Feb. of 2014.  I called 911 pretty much begging for help, I'd never had any mental health problems before, this was like getting run over by a freight train. 

Although I hate prescription meds I had to take Klonopin for about 6 months, in gradually decreasing amounts, to cope with the steroid psychosis.  Klonopin is nasty addictive stuff  - benzos - but it was a lifeline for me, I literally could not sleep without it for 3-4 months - I would sleep for an hour and then awaken with horrible frightening thoughts I called "the terrors".  I would ask for it to get through this rough patch with Prednisone if you need it - and good luck to you  waytogo.gif  

Edited by Scott99, 02 November 2020 - 01:25 PM.

• rolo, davidc135 and Andrew Brown like this

#343 GaryM

GaryM

Explorer 1

• Loc: Harrisburg, Pennslyvania

Posted 02 November 2020 - 01:53 PM

Rolo, take it easy there and keep a positive mind. The mind is responsible for our health more than any drug ever invented!

I believe I mentioned the Life Extension Foundation (Lef.org) to you before. They are a tremendous resource and a world leader for treating disease and enhancing health. Their massive database of health topics is freely downloadable in pdf format. I just checked and they have a lot of information on your health condition.

Keep the faith my friend!

• rolo and Defenderslideguitar like this

#344 Jeff B

Jeff B

Cosmos

Posted 13 November 2020 - 10:08 AM

Checking up on you Rolo.

Jeff

• rolo likes this

#345 Piggyback

Piggyback

Apollo

• Loc: Germany

Posted 13 November 2020 - 12:08 PM

Rolo, please keep on fighting. You will make it. You got fans a couple thousand miles away. I miss your input on things Zeiss. 

Edited by Piggyback, 14 November 2020 - 09:00 AM.

• Patrik Iver, rolo and Andrew Brown like this

#346 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

Posted 28 November 2020 - 03:58 PM

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! we had a small but nice get together.

Its been a rough recovery to say the least. Had to spend the night at Emory Hospital Transplant Tower after some poor blood work results. Severely anemic, low magnesium, phosphorus and potassium. Got three units of blood, three Magnesium IV's and one each of the Phosphorus and potassium. Every day is a challenge but I'm pretty stuborn and strong so I continue to fight, been doing so for a decade now! 

Unfortunately haven't been able to look at Mars yet frown.gif

• Patrik Iver, jwaldo, bob midiri and 20 others like this

#347 davidmcgo

davidmcgo

Soyuz

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 28 November 2020 - 04:38 PM

Thanks for thinking of us and letting us know how you are doing.  I’m still hoping you get this all behind you soon and have many healthy years ahead!

Dave

• 25585 likes this

#348 wfj

wfj

Surveyor 1

Posted 28 November 2020 - 05:20 PM

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! we had a small but nice get together.

Its been a rough recovery to say the least. Had to spend the night at Emory Hospital Transplant Tower after some poor blood work results. Severely anemic, low magnesium, phosphorus and potassium. Got three units of blood, three Magnesium IV's and one each of the Phosphorus and potassium. Every day is a challenge but I'm pretty stuborn and strong so I continue to fight, been doing so for a decade now! 

Unfortunately haven't been able to look at Mars yet frown.gif

Bummer for you to be back in the hospital again. Wish you the best in toughing it out.

Mars will still be there.

• Van Do9:3 likes this

#349 John Higbee

John Higbee

Viking 1

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 28 November 2020 - 05:25 PM

Rolo - once you've got this behind you (and we get vaccinated for covid), hope the two of us can take a new picture under the USNA Clark (replacing the one on my e-mail) during your visit!

John

• Terra Nova likes this

#350 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

Posted 28 November 2020 - 05:31 PM

I just sent Tara a PM asking about you a few days ago.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics