•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Polar alignment scope

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Tech137

Tech137

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 August 2020 - 04:49 PM

how do you safely remove the polar alignment scope from a eq6-r mount?

#2 terrypaula

terrypaula

Ranger 4

Posted 06 August 2020 - 05:30 PM

Don't they unscrew from the RA housing?

#3 B 26354

B 26354

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California semi-desert (NELM mag 5.3)

Posted 06 August 2020 - 05:48 PM

I didn't see anything in the user manual about polar-scope removal. You should e-mail SkyWatcher tech support, and ask them for specific, detailed instructions.

You should also delete your other, redundant thread, so that any answers you get, will only be posted in this one. grin.gif

Edited by B 26354, 06 August 2020 - 05:51 PM.

#4 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 August 2020 - 06:14 PM

Look around the perimeter of the rear of the RA housing, there may be a small hole hiding a set screw.  If there is one, you'll need a small metric Allen wrench to loosen it.  Then you should be able to unscrew your polar scope.

If there isn't a set screw, your polar scope may be cross threaded or seized.  If that's the case, only force will work.

#5 bignerdguy

bignerdguy

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Lewisville, TX

Posted 07 August 2020 - 08:46 AM

According to the Orion manual for the same scope it unscrews much like the HEQ5 does.  Try grabbing the scope eyepiece just past the focus wheel and rotate it counter clockwise.  it should come off.  like @macdonjh said if it wont unscrew then it may be bound and force may be required.

Here is a picture of the back of the polar scope.  the screws here are for alignment only, not to remove it.

scope 1.jpg

This is what it looks like once removed.  Note the screw threads on the inner section.  This is where it screws to the mount:

scope 2.jpg

#6 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 07 August 2020 - 10:45 AM

Now that we have photos, it doesn't look like there are any set screws securing the polar alignment scope to the mount.  Just to be sure, I'd double check the area I outlined in red on the mount.

PA scope.jpg

#7 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 07 August 2020 - 01:48 PM

It simply unscrews.  It may be tight so you might have to carefully grip it with something, but I have not needed to do that with an EQ6-R to date.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics