•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A learner wants to replace/upgrade from Canon 7dii

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 andynowlen

andynowlen

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 August 2020 - 04:52 PM

If I am going to move on from my 7dii toward a camera better suited/more modern (includes flip screen for an old man) for astrophotography with my Canon lenses for the time being, what do you recommend? Full frame or crop? Modified 80d? Modified 60/70d? R or RP with drop in filters?  I have pretty well mastered my Star Adventurer and Asiair and am considering such an upgrade? 

#2 Bill Jensen

Bill Jensen

Messenger

• Loc: Springfield VA

Posted 06 August 2020 - 05:01 PM

Have you looked at the Ra? or did you want to have a  camera that did both AP and regular photography ? 

The R works well with existing EF lenses, using the adapter. I recommend you may want to look at the new R5 or R6 for their better low light capability, if the Ra is not a good fit. 

#3 andynowlen

andynowlen

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 August 2020 - 06:41 PM

Thanks Bill.  I actually have an R.  Since I can't tell when the Canon mirrorless will be supported by the Asiair, I have basically concluded that I need a camera for this 'season' that is supported by the Air.  I might look at the R6 if any positive astro reviews come out.  Thanks again.

#4 Jerry Lodriguss

Jerry Lodriguss

Vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: Voorhees, NJ

Posted 06 August 2020 - 10:43 PM

Hi Andy,

First question you have to ask yourself is: "Do you feel lucky?".  

No just kidding.

The first question is: will your lenses cover full frame?

If you have top of the line L glass, then you can afford the full frame.

Basically, anything newer is going to be better. So the R5 and R6 will probably be a little better than the R.

But, not like an order of magnitude better. A little better.

All the hoopla you are hearing about the R6 is basically about video.

We will see if the sensor is ISO less and if it has pattern noise, or any other problems when some astrophotographers get their hands on some and actually use them.. 

What I'm worried about in these crazy video cameras is the thermal noise associated with the thermal signal generated by the heat in the camera, which is apparently severe when used in video mode.  But, isn't a mirrorless camera basically in video mode all the time?  

Jerry

Edited by Jerry Lodriguss, 06 August 2020 - 10:46 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics