•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

88% moon and observation dilemma

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 N3p

N3p

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 06 August 2020 - 05:08 PM

I am not sure about what to do tonight, it's those night that the very bright moon raise directly from the horizon at ddusk.. so basically it's not possible to look at the moon itself because it's too low, and I need to wait until midnight to look at the moon only, to sketch.

Since the 88% moon is there, directly at dusk.. then it's not logical to drive away for a DSO observation..Jupiter and Saturn are there but not enough of a justification to drive to a dark spot.

Or I could wake up during the night, 2 or 3 AM to look at Mars, Venus and the moon.. that's a possibility I rarely do that..

I am sad my mind was made up to drive to a dark spot... and the dream has died..

Tell me your opinion, what would you do ?

It would help me to hear other ideas on this.

#2 kfiscus

kfiscus

Fly Me to the Moon

• Vendors
  • Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA

Posted 06 August 2020 - 05:24 PM

Netflix and just set up in the driveway.  The streetlight will actually help.

Edited by kfiscus, 06 August 2020 - 05:26 PM.

#3 N3p

N3p

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 06 August 2020 - 05:33 PM

Netflix and just set up in the driveway.  The streetlight will actually help.

Lol, So the idea is to watch Netflix until 3am ?  Something like that could actually work.

#4 N3p

N3p

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 06 August 2020 - 05:42 PM

I thought of a plan..

Between 21:15 ans 22:15 I have 1 hour with no moon.. I think I might drive to a close spot.. for a short observation of stars and clusters... then at 10:15, I'll look at Jupiter and Saturn, depending of the atmospheric conditions,.. I could try both planets with a couple of color filters and perhaps sketch Jupiter again..

There is material for an easy 2 hours observation..

IF I reach 23:00 I might do a low power observation of the moon with something like a 18mm eyepiece..

Does it sounds like a decent plan?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics