•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Classic DayLite Telescope - Help?

classic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Irishluck12

Irishluck12

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 August 2020 - 05:24 PM

Hi! I’m pretty new to telescopes in general and have actually been thinking of buying one recently and then I ended up inheriting this from my uncle. It’s in pretty good shape as far as I can tell. Have done some research on it and know it’s a Circle K and stamped with DayLite as the brand? Just wondering if there’s a manual out there anywhere and what I should do, if anything, to clean the lenses. Most of them are pretty clear but the finder seems like it has some issues and possibly a crack but not certain, just see a line halfway across when I look through it. Would also really like to know the age of it!
It also has a couple different lenses and stuff that I know absolutely nothing about.

Couldn’t figure out how to upload photos here so made an imgur album https://imgur.com/gallery/d4uPwGe

#2 Kasmos

Kasmos

Gemini

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 07 August 2020 - 12:13 AM

I believe this manual for a Sans & Streiffe 600 is for the same telescope but with a different brand name.

http://geogdata.csun...eiffe/ss600.pdf

It's likely from the mid to late 60s.

The line you see in the finder is probably what's left of one of the crosshairs, the other is likely broken.

Google cleaning telescope lens and read a few different guides before attempting it. Improper cleaning will damage the lens. You might also Google different topics on telescopes and read up and or watch some videos.

If it came with a small Sun filter do not use it as they can break and cause blindness!

Edited by Kasmos, 07 August 2020 - 12:15 AM.

• cookjaiii likes this

#3 Irishluck12

Irishluck12

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 August 2020 - 05:20 PM

Thanks! For whatever reason the link takes me to some site about redoing a trust for lump sum payments and talking about JG Wentworth ****. But I was able to find the 600 manual by searching around on the forums :D

I’m not at all certain what lenses it came with. I know one of them says MOON on the side of the black ring but the others just have normal lens numbers *shrugs*

I’ll try and get some better pics of them and maybe you can help tell me what they are?

#4 Irishluck12

Irishluck12

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 August 2020 - 05:20 PM

Thanks! For whatever reason the link takes me to some site about redoing a trust for lump sum payments and talking about JG Wentworth ****. But I was able to find the 600 manual by searching around on the forums :D

I’m not at all certain what lenses it came with. I know one of them says MOON on the side of the black ring but the others just have normal lens numbers *shrugs*

I’ll try and get some better pics of them and maybe you can help tell me what they are?

#5 Kasmos

Kasmos

Gemini

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 07 August 2020 - 05:43 PM

Thanks! For whatever reason the link takes me to some site about redoing a trust for lump sum payments and talking about JG Wentworth ****. But I was able to find the 600 manual by searching around on the forums laugh.gif

The link should work now. It's a old archived site, that's partly why it linked wrong the first time.

https://web.archive....eiffe/ss600.pdf

Unless it's threaded onto an eyepiece the part marked Moon is a Moon filter.

The eyepieces are the small lenses with the numbers and mm on them as in milimeters. You divide the focal length of the main lens (in your case probably), 910mm by the one on the eyepeice and that tells you the magnification when using that eyepiece.

Example, 910 divided by the 20mm eyepiece give a magnification of 45.5x. Or if there's one marked 5mm, 910 divided by 5 would be 182x. 

Edited by Kasmos, 07 August 2020 - 05:46 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: classic

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics