•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mount Celeston 9x50 RACI on 10" Truss Dob?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MITBeta

MITBeta

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 August 2020 - 05:38 PM

Hi Everyone,

I bought a Celeston 9x50 RACI for my new 10" Truss Dob. However, in searching for a manual or instructions on what all the knobs do, I did not find a single post of someone who mounted one of these to a Dob. Is there any reason I can't or shouldn't?

Thanks.

#2 JohnBear

JohnBear

Viking 1

• Loc: Sandy, Utah

Posted 06 August 2020 - 06:07 PM

Hi Welcome to CN!

We may need some more info to clarify the question(s). Pictures really help.

Which "all the knobs"? On the Finder, or bracket? 

Maybe this will help: https://www.youtube....h?v=pH4MksauCjY

Since you are new to CN. Have you joined a local astronomy club yet? They are a great resource for general questions, looking at and trying different telescopes and equipment, classes, collimation help, loaner scopes, star parties, etc. 

CN forums are great for specific and technical questions, product opinions, etc.

This is a great time of year for viewing the planets with a 10" Dob.

Clear skies!

#3 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 06 August 2020 - 07:06 PM

Hi Everyone,

I bought a Celeston 9x50 RACI for my new 10" Truss Dob. However, in searching for a manual or instructions on what all the knobs do, I did not find a single post of someone who mounted one of these to a Dob. Is there any reason I can't or shouldn't?

Thanks.

Hi:

The Celestron 9x50 RACI is designed for mounting on SCTs.  I believe you can mount it to your Dob, assuming you can find a good location but you will have to drill some holes in the tube.

https://www.bhphotov...r_scope.html/qa

Jon

#4 JohnBear

JohnBear

Viking 1

• Loc: Sandy, Utah

Posted 06 August 2020 - 07:36 PM

RACIs do work very well on a Dob (almost a requirement by many Dob owners). Almost every large Dob owner will have one, so ask a couple Dob owners in your local club, and I am certain someone will help you get it mounted properly. 

#5 kfiscus

kfiscus

Baltic Birch Dob Bases

• Vendors
  • Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA

Posted 06 August 2020 - 07:46 PM

Mounting it will be fairly easy once you know where you want it.  As mentioned above, a photo of your scope would be helpful.  Depending on the stiffness of the tube near your chosen mounting spot, you may want to add a stiffener of thin plywood or thinner steel or aluminum painted flat black.  Then a pair of bolts with washers and nuts will have you done in no time.

I forgot:  Did you buy a dovetail shoe for the finder bracket to mount in?  It bolts to the exterior of your scope and then a set screw holds the finder bracket in place.

Edited by kfiscus, 06 August 2020 - 08:37 PM.

#6 KBHornblower

KBHornblower

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Falls Church, VA (Washington DC suburb)

Posted 06 August 2020 - 09:44 PM

I got that finder for use on either my old Celestron 8 or on my wood-frame truss Dob.  I mounted the included dovetail shoe on the C8 and made a shoe to go on the Dob.  The latter may or may not be practical without a table saw such as I have.

#7 MITBeta

MITBeta

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2020 - 05:59 PM

Hi Everyone,

Sorry it took so long to reply.

Here's what I have:

PXL_20200915_191319215.jpg

PXL_20200919_224152046.jpg

The shoe on the bottom of the finder scope looks like this:

PXL_20200915_191313898.jpg

I was thinking it would be mounted something like this:

PXL_20200915_191307499.jpg

Thanks in advance for any advice.

#8 kfiscus

kfiscus

Baltic Birch Dob Bases

• Vendors
  • Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA

Posted 19 September 2020 - 07:27 PM

There's more chrome on that finder hardware than on my car...

How handy are you?  The finder base that you have can be made to work.  One way to do it (there are other ways), would be to get a thin piece of high-quality plywood (1/4"-3/8") and make it the length of your upper tube assembly(UTA), fitting between the two end rings.  It would be attached to the exterior of your UTA by a few short wood screws that have their heads inside the tube and end inside the plywood.  Your finder base would then attach to the plywood.  The footprint of this piece of plywood would help stiffen things considerably.  Your finderscope looks fairly beefy and attaching it to the thin metal of the UTA with too small of a base would make for a wobbly mount.

Edited by kfiscus, 19 September 2020 - 07:29 PM.

#9 Tfer

Tfer

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northern Alberta, Canada

Posted 19 September 2020 - 11:50 PM

I’ve added a RACI to join my Celestron Star Pointer Pro.

Pretty quick work with a drill and a couple of small bolts.  Took about 10 minutes from start to finish.  

Attached Thumbnails

• 0B11AB2F-F0E2-446C-BCB4-0C37A49CBC87.jpeg

#10 vkhastro1

vkhastro1

Apollo

• Loc: Vankleek Hill, Ontario, Canada

Posted 20 September 2020 - 06:25 AM

I’ve added a RACI to join my Celestron Star Pointer Pro.

Pretty quick work with a drill and a couple of small bolts.  Took about 10 minutes from start to finish.  

I have several Celestron 9x50 RACI finders - I really like the optics of this finderscope.

In my opinion better than the Orion type RACI  but not as nice as the Stellarvue RACI.

One is mounted on my C8.
The other is Newtonian mounted.

The main issue (as others mentioned) is the heavy finderscope rings and mounting shoe.

The greater the finder weight, the more counterweight needs to be added to balance the OTA.

In all my Celestron RACIs the mounting rings/base are considered useless (put in their box and stored).

On my C8, I have a discontinued ultra narrow Losmandy C8 bar (remember them from the 1990s) as well as the discontinued Losmandy RDF65 (remember them). I remounted the Celestron RACI Finderscope in the RDF65 and it fits perfectly on the Losmandy narrow bar. It is nice that I can reposition it along the bar to help counterbalance as required.

For the Newtonian, I use the entire RDF65 removable mounting ring and base with Celestron RACI.

The Celestron RACI Finder also fits the Orion/Skywatcher Finder stock (Ad shown in posting #9 photo).

Lots of non-Celestron options.

• Tfer likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics