•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Advice on a pair of used binos (canon 15x50 IS)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 alexvh

alexvh

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 August 2020 - 05:50 PM

Hi guys

I recently got a pair of canon 15x50 IS off eBay... They looked in well used condition but no damage to optics.

I was looking at Jupiter tonight, and I struggled to get the images to merge...I tried adjusting my focus, and moved my head a bit forward and back, and the pupillary distance, but no luck...

Is it me? or is it collimation? Is this an easy fix on these Binos?

Alex

#2 Windowspy

Windowspy

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 06 August 2020 - 06:44 PM

I have a pair of a canon 15x50’s, and I can see Jupiter clear as... I don’t know.... night? day? Whatever it is, Jupiter looks like a bright dazzling golf ball, and I can make out the four moons as brilliant little pinpricks. Sounds like you might have an issue with your pair. Compared to my Vortex 10x42 diamondbacks, the image is brighter, bigger, and much sharper. And of course, there is a very obvious difference in the image stability.

How do they work during the day? I usually find the image to be extremely sharp.

#3 Visit-the-Moon

Visit-the-Moon

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 06 August 2020 - 11:25 PM

I have a pair and the collimation is excellent, as is the sharpness and colour correction, perhaps your pair has been dropped in the past and internally damaged? I assume you have no issue with other binoculars. There are no external adjustments so perhaps you need to get them serviced by Canon but expect to pay.  Does turning IS on or off impact the collimation? That could narrow down the issue to the optics or the stabilisation mechanism. Does the power turn on as evidenced by the "on" light. There is a youtube video that might be useful: https://www.youtube....h?v=YpzDogP1r_A . I have dismantled (and reassembled) many binoculars and telescopes but I would be a bit cautious with this one.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics