•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Cherry Springs State Park field condition questions

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#26 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 20 August 2020 - 10:02 PM

I was planning to go in September new moon week. I tried to book a spot in the rustic campground,#30. But the site said everything was booked. I wonder if they haven’t updated their site since the Black Forest party is canceled. Could the place still be all booked up?

Are you aware that you can camp on the Overnight Astronomy Observation Field (the official name) for $15 a night?  You cannot enter or leave after dark and no GLPs, pets, alcohol, or open fires are permitted.

#27 Jeff L

Jeff L

Viking 1

• Loc: Easton. Pa

Posted 21 August 2020 - 05:02 AM

Are you aware that you can camp on the Overnight Astronomy Observation Field (the official name) for $15 a night?  You cannot enter or leave after dark and no GLPs, pets, alcohol, or open fires are permitted.

Ya, that is why I wanted the rustic campground. Spot #30 is next to the public viewing area. There’s a fire pit and you can drive to it and leave anytime. I went on google earth and noticed ther are a few open areas. Will the rangers let you set up anywhere?

#28 Klaus_160

Klaus_160

Sputnik

Posted 21 August 2020 - 11:42 AM

Tonight looks like a great night. Forecast has me second guessing my trip this weekend. Astropherics shows a chance of clear skies tomorrow night, but no chance on Saturday. Think its worth a 6+ hour drive for those odds?

I went last night and have just returned (I live 1h 20 min away).

The night was great despite a few high clouds here and there and my SQM measured between 21.78 and 21.83 around 11pm and again around 3:30 am, despite the summer milky way. 10 Pleiades stars and M33 direct vision. One of the best nights I had there, probably because the humidity was low (for upstate NY). Quite a few people there, but still OK. Field was in great condition.

I hope you decided to go and had the same experience!

• Lukes1040 likes this

#29 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators

Posted 21 August 2020 - 02:46 PM

Ya, that is why I wanted the rustic campground. Spot #30 is next to the public viewing area. There’s a fire pit and you can drive to it and leave anytime. I went on google earth and noticed ther are a few open areas. Will the rangers let you set up anywhere?

Staying overnight in the public area is not permitted, as is setting up in the parking lot.  Otherwise, I suppose you can set up anywhere in the Night Sky Public Viewing Area.

#30 John Vogt

John Vogt

Mariner 2

Posted 09 September 2020 - 12:20 PM

Who is going to Cherry Springs this upcoming New Moon period?

Hope to be there next week>

John

#31 AstroBruce

AstroBruce

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 09 September 2020 - 02:37 PM

I will probably head there on the 14th. If the weather looks really good, might go earlier.

Bruce

#32 reddog1972

reddog1972

Ranger 4

• Loc: Northern NJ

Posted 09 September 2020 - 10:14 PM

I'm hoping to get there on the 17th or 18th and stay for several nights weather permitting.

#33 kennyrichmond

kennyrichmond

Viking 1

• Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Posted 10 September 2020 - 05:02 AM

I will probably head there on the 14th. If the weather looks really good, might go earlier.

Bruce

Five days out the forecast looks good for an upcoming Monday arrival.  If the predictions hold, I'll be there around noon or so.

Ken

#34 Ladyhawke

Ladyhawke

Surveyor 1

Posted 10 September 2020 - 05:58 AM

If you have a camper, there's no need to fear COVID because you won't be in contact with anything or anyone, assuming you have a bathroom in your camper. I always park near the covered area where they do the talks when there's a star party, which is the recommended for campers (not in the middle of the field). I usually fill my tank right there on one of the wells using a bladder and water pump and that's how I refill my camper's tank. There's power towers all over the field and there's also a dump station right next to the field. I'm glad I saw this post, I wasn't aware of the dry well and was planning on going again this new Moon in September, does anyone know if there is still a water issue?

#35 peleuba

peleuba

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: North of Baltimore, MD

Posted 10 September 2020 - 07:21 AM

Who is going to Cherry Springs this upcoming New Moon period?

Hope to be there next week>

I will arrive on Friday 9/11 for 8 or 9 days.

• paul likes this

#36 peleuba

peleuba

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: North of Baltimore, MD

Posted 10 September 2020 - 07:24 AM

I wasn't aware of the dry well and was planning on going again this new Moon in September, does anyone know if there is still a water issue?

I believe the water issue has been mitigated.  I cannot find any mention of it any longer on the Cherry Springs section of the PA DNR website.  

• Ladyhawke likes this

#37 jpbutler

jpbutler

Apollo

• Loc: Edison, NJ

Posted 10 September 2020 - 08:31 AM

the water was fixed when I was there for August new moon.

• Ladyhawke likes this

#38 Ladyhawke

Ladyhawke

Surveyor 1

Posted 10 September 2020 - 08:40 AM

I believe the water issue has been mitigated.  I cannot find any mention of it any longer on the Cherry Springs section of the PA DNR website.  

the water was fixed when I was there for August new moon.

Awesome. Thanks!

• peleuba likes this

#39 emilyann

emilyann

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Buffalo, NY

Posted 16 September 2020 - 10:04 AM

Anyone on the field right now? I'm curious as to how the smoke and haze from the CA fires is impacting the views.

#40 Jeff L

Jeff L

Viking 1

• Loc: Easton. Pa

Posted 16 September 2020 - 10:11 AM

I was all loaded up Tuesday morning to leave. Decided to stay home.  I was out last night in my bortle 5 yard and only a few stars were visible. No Polaris or Big Dipper. Bummer.

#41 mogur

mogur

Soyuz

• Loc: Pueblo, CO

Posted 16 September 2020 - 11:00 AM

Looks like the entire country is starting to deal with what we in the west have had all summer.

#42 solarwind

solarwind

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central NJ

Posted 16 September 2020 - 04:33 PM

I was out there Monday night.  Horrible.  Tons of haze.  We had a half hour of decent viewing for above 60 degrees or so altitude.  I was going to stay until tomorrow but decided to do the 7 hour ride back home to NJ.   

#43 jpbutler

jpbutler

Apollo

• Loc: Edison, NJ

Posted 16 September 2020 - 05:11 PM

I have been here at cssp since Monday. Skies are kind of milky looking during the day.

Looks like the sky on a clear day in Edison, NJ.

The transparency at night is pretty bad can barely see the milky way.

But ya just gotta make the best of it.

John

#44 mogur

mogur

Soyuz

Posted 16 September 2020 - 09:50 PM

I wonder how the smoke affects night-vision astronomy?

#45 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators

Posted 16 September 2020 - 10:20 PM

Here's the NOAA smoke map for today.

https://www.cleardar...ings State Park

#46 John Vogt

John Vogt

Mariner 2

Posted 17 September 2020 - 02:42 PM

I arrived about noon on Monday. Conditions that night were quite murky Monday with Tuesday night not being much better. I only had short views of a very turbulent and orange Jupiter and Saturn on Tuesday. With little hope of it clearing anytime soon I gave up, packed everything yesterday and drove home today. A cold front is approaching today with the hopes that it will clear the air on Fri. but the NOAA map for this Sunday I looked at this morning still showed the smoke, albeit not as thick over CSSP.

The week otherwise would have been really good evidenced by the couple of hundred of people that had shown up by Tuesday. That dwindled down to a trickle yesterday with a number of people already there packing up and leaving. If by chance conditions turn around tomorrow I would expect quite an influx of people. At this point though, so much for the "impromptu" Black Forrest Star Party".

Here's hoping for better luck in October.

John

#47 mogur

mogur

Soyuz

Posted 17 September 2020 - 08:04 PM

As one can see, the smoke maps display the intensity in three levels. The third (darkest) level is actually dangerous for those with respiratory problems. Beware! I'll bet that if dew forms at night you'll notice residue on your scope. bawling.gif

Edited by mogur, 17 September 2020 - 08:06 PM.

#48 Joe Bergeron

Joe Bergeron

Vendor - Space Art

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 18 September 2020 - 12:09 AM

Monday night: murky, cold, and dewy. 
Tuesday night: even more murky, everything less than 20 degrees up wiped out, slightly less cold, not dewy. 
Wednesday night: less murky, warmer, light dew. 

#49 kennyrichmond

kennyrichmond

Viking 1

• Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Posted 18 September 2020 - 06:08 AM

A few of us left yesterday around noon when NOAA's original prediction of the jet stream getting sucked into the southern low from the gulf storms got reversed.  Now the favorable smoke suck predictions are back for the 19th.  See the first verticle smoke animation:

https://hwp-viz.gsd....oke/index.html#

This shows the smoke clearing over all of Pennsylvania.  Might be very cold, however.

#50 Joe Bergeron

Joe Bergeron

Vendor - Space Art

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 18 September 2020 - 07:29 AM

Too cold for the likes of me. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics