•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New Meade Eyepieces

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#51 TheBigEye

TheBigEye

Explorer 1

• Loc: New Mexico, USA

Posted 08 August 2020 - 12:36 PM

Just saw these new Meade 24mm UHDs. Lots of speculation here about design, manufacturer, aesthetics and such, but has anyone actually LOOKED through one? If so, would love to get your impressions. I only saw some specs in a MileHiAstro ad that lists ER at 29mm, which is significantly more than my 24mm Pans and ES pieces. Long ER is desirable for me as a wearer of glasses. I use those pieces for binocular viewing too, so am very interested in the visual performance of the new Meade 24mm UHD. All else being equal, I might be tempted to trade off my other "24s" for these. Thanks!    

#52 MrJones

MrJones

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: Indiana

Posted 08 August 2020 - 01:59 PM

There are lots:

https://www.cloudyni...mm-uff-65°-fov/

https://www.cloudyni...eld-24mm-65deg/

#53 Miranda2525

Miranda2525

Vanguard

Posted 08 August 2020 - 03:18 PM

How exactly does the "beauty" of an eyepiece, which is completely subjective, have any impact on the performance of the eyepiece? How does the looks of something that is mostly used in the dark anyway have anything to do with how well you can see what your scope is pointed at?

Now you're jumping to conclusions. All I said was that they were ugly looking TO ME.

This DOES NOT INSINUATE IN NO WAY that everybody needs to think like I do

Is THAT simple enough for you to understand?

#54 Miranda2525

Miranda2525

Vanguard

Posted 08 August 2020 - 03:20 PM

Optically they may be fine...cosmetically they're butt ugly.

Don't say that in here !!!!!  The OPTICS POLICE will scold you and make sure you PAY for it.

lol.gif

• BFaucett likes this

#55 esd726

esd726

Apollo

• Loc: Rochester, IN

Posted 08 August 2020 - 03:34 PM

I don’t have an empty “space” in my lineup (I don’t think thinking1.gif ) but I’m in the “I want another eyepiece” mood and these might be interesting..  I REALLY liked the UWANs and like the current APM UFFs.

• Tropobob likes this

#56 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 08 August 2020 - 04:06 PM

Just saw these new Meade 24mm UHDs. Lots of speculation here about design, manufacturer, aesthetics and such, but has anyone actually LOOKED through one? If so, would love to get your impressions. I only saw some specs in a MileHiAstro ad that lists ER at 29mm, which is significantly more than my 24mm Pans and ES pieces. Long ER is desirable for me as a wearer of glasses. I use those pieces for binocular viewing too, so am very interested in the visual performance of the new Meade 24mm UHD. All else being equal, I might be tempted to trade off my other "24s" for these. Thanks!    

I have a small 4" refractor that I use small light eyepieces in.

For many years, I used a 24mm Panoptic as a low power, but my astigmatism has gotten bad enough I need to use glasses with 14mm or longer.

So I replaced the 24mm Panoptic with an APM 24mm UFF, and it did not disappoint.  It has enough eye relief for glasses, and it is sharp enough in that scope (at only 30x) to be a fine lowest power eyepiece.

The Altair version of the same eyepiece has a steel lower section, but it appears the Orion has an aluminum lower, like the APM.

The Meade is a bit more expensive than the APM, but it should be the same, optically.

• esd726 likes this

#57 Starman1

Starman1

• Vendors

Posted 08 August 2020 - 04:11 PM

And they are not in stock, since you cannot checkout after adding them to cart.

So they are to come, apparently.

As for reviews, just read the reviews here on CN for the APM Ultra Flat Field

or for the Altair Ultra Flat on Stargazer's Lounge.

#58 Supernova74

Supernova74

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Epsom surrey near (London)

Posted 08 August 2020 - 04:17 PM

And they are not in stock, since you cannot checkout after adding them to cart.

So they are to come, apparently.

As for reviews, just read the reviews here on CN for the APM Ultra Flat Field

or for the Altair Ultra Flat on Stargazer's Lounge.

Are thay another clone don regarding the Meades!?

#59 Starman1

Starman1

• Vendors

Posted 08 August 2020 - 04:37 PM

It looks like the Meade UHD, APM UFF, Altair UF and Orion UFF are all the same KUO eyepiece with merely different exterior barrels.

• markraymond and Ernesto.Nicola like this

#60 BillP

BillP

ISS

• Loc: Spotsylvania, VA

Posted 08 August 2020 - 08:15 PM

Lens configurations from the Altair site...

https://cdn.shopligh...04890/image.jpg

I don't think the Meade's look all that bad.  None of them look great, the APMs included.  I think I like the Altair's the best.

Edited by BillP, 08 August 2020 - 08:21 PM.

• Ernesto.Nicola, Ohmless and 25585 like this

#61 rexowner

rexowner

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: SF Bay Area, California

Posted 08 August 2020 - 08:48 PM

Lens configurations from the Altair site...

https://cdn.shopligh...04890/image.jpg

Thanks.  Interesting pictures.  Great illustration of "eye relief" not necessarily

being "usable eye relief" what with the measurement starting in the

center of a concave lens -- you would really have to plop your 

eyeball in there to get all the relief claimed.

#62 25585

Voyager 1

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 08 August 2020 - 09:23 PM

Just gotta wait for the Celestron versions.... 

#63 Thomas_M44

Thomas_M44

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Modesto, CA USA

Posted 08 August 2020 - 10:10 PM

It looks like the Meade UHD, APM UFF, Altair UF and Orion UFF are all the same KUO eyepiece with merely different exterior barrels.

By all appearances, the William Optics "Hello Kitty" 10mm EP I recently bought is yet another APM UFF clone:

https://williamoptic...0mm#description

Edited by Thomas_M44, 08 August 2020 - 10:10 PM.

• aa5te likes this

#64 AstroVPK

AstroVPK

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Sunnyvale, CA

Posted 08 August 2020 - 11:18 PM

I have an MBA from Harvard, and I think your stereotypes are ridiculous.

Contributed in a major way to multi billion dollar products at Sun Microsystems
and Cisco Systems, as well as three startups.

Everybody who is from somewhere, or has some degree, is not alike and
you are simply displaying ignorance.

Point taken - not everyone who gets an MBA is completely passionless about what they do. Sorry for stereotyping... How was your experience at Sun? Must have been quite the journey.
  • CQDDEMGY and Thomas_M44 like this

#65 Starman1

Starman1

• Vendors

Posted 08 August 2020 - 11:35 PM

Thanks. Interesting pictures. Great illustration of "eye relief" not necessarily
being "usable eye relief" what with the measurement starting in the
center of a concave lens -- you would really have to plop your
eyeball in there to get all the relief claimed.

The eyecups fold down.

Edited by Starman1, 08 August 2020 - 11:35 PM.

#66 rexowner

rexowner

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 09 August 2020 - 12:05 AM

Point taken - not everyone who gets an MBA is completely passionless about what they do. Sorry for stereotyping... How was your experience at Sun? Must have been quite the journey.

Sun was probably the beat decade of my career. It was a different era in silicon valley in the 80’s.

Clear skies.

• Thomas_M44 likes this

#67 rexowner

rexowner

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 09 August 2020 - 12:23 AM

The eyecups fold down.

Good point. 

I found the pics Billp linked educational for me because it drove home the point that the

depth of a concave eye lens “counts” towards eye relief.  Also, since (I think, not positive)

the “eye” is measured to the center? of the lens, which appears to be ~5mm behind the

front of the cornea, one might “lose” quite a bit of eye relief there too, and I suppose that 

varies between individuals.  I’ve never actually measured, but it subjectively seems to

me that I have to put my eye a lot closer to the eyepiece than claimed “eye relief” #

to get at the “correct” distance from the eyepiece. 

Edited by rexowner, 09 August 2020 - 12:23 AM.

#68 Starman1

Starman1

• Vendors

Posted 09 August 2020 - 08:54 AM

Good point. 

I found the pics Billp linked educational for me because it drove home the point that the

depth of a concave eye lens “counts” towards eye relief.  Also, since (I think, not positive)

the “eye” is measured to the center? of the lens, which appears to be ~5mm behind the

front of the cornea, one might “lose” quite a bit of eye relief there too, and I suppose that 

varies between individuals.  I’ve never actually measured, but it subjectively seems to

me that I have to put my eye a lot closer to the eyepiece than claimed “eye relief” #

to get at the “correct” distance from the eyepiece. 

Which is why many advocate for an "Effective" eye relief figure, which would be measured from a plane resting on the rubber eyecup folded down, ignoring whatever distance is below that to the glass.

That could make an eyepiece with a 20mm eye relief actually 15-17mm in effective eye relief, or less on many "LER" eyepieces.

One CN poster has in his signature that long eye relief is at least 20mm of Effective eye relief.

Such eyepieces are few and far between.

I recently extensively used an eyepiece with a quoted eye relief of 24mm, which, on that eyepiece, meant an effective eye relief of perhaps 21-22mm and found that when my glasses pressed on the

rubber eyecup I was actually inside the exit pupil, too close to the eyepiece.  If I pulled back a tad, it was very comfortable.  So if eyepieces had enough eye relief for glasses wearers to not have to

actually rest their glasses on the eyecup, perhaps 24mm would be a better standard than 20mm.

• Jon Isaacs, leonard, fmasa and 3 others like this

#69 obsession18

obsession18

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 09 August 2020 - 11:45 AM

So it appears these new Meade EP's are a resurrection of the William Optics UWAN line, if this indeed the case the reviews of the original 28mm were quite good, and at $259 the new Meade is a deal.

For those of us with F/4.5 reflectors the 28mm offers an attractive 6.2mm exit pupil.

These new EP's don't appear to be available right now, definitely want the 28mm when they are finally released.

#70 Xyrus

Xyrus

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 09 August 2020 - 04:04 PM

Now you're jumping to conclusions. All I said was that they were ugly looking TO ME.

This DOES NOT INSINUATE IN NO WAY that everybody needs to think like I do

Is THAT simple enough for you to understand?

You're the one that replied with a childish remark to begin with. All I stated was that the look of an eyepiece is irrelevant. If it performs well then how pretty or ugly it is doesn't make any difference, especially since most observations are done at night when you're not going to be seeing it anyway.

Yet somehow you construed this as a personal attack against you, which is utterly bizarre. 

*shrug* Whatever.

• jgroub likes this

#71 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 10 August 2020 - 10:25 AM

To be truthful, they're not as ugly as those toilet plungers Meade came out with awhile back....appears Meade has hired a former Edsel fashion designer.

• george tatsis likes this

#72 25585

Voyager 1

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 10 August 2020 - 10:32 AM

To be truthful, they're not as ugly as those toilet plungers Meade came out with awhile back....appears Meade has hired a former Edsel fashion designer.

The "toilet plunger" Meades I found OK. Eye relief & positioning better than the TV wrecking balls, no cold burn in sub-zero nights & easy to grab wearing gloves. That last still looks to be upheld.

#73 BillP

BillP

ISS

• Loc: Spotsylvania, VA

Posted 10 August 2020 - 11:01 AM

I recently extensively used an eyepiece with a quoted eye relief of 24mm, which, on that eyepiece, meant an effective eye relief of perhaps 21-22mm and found that when my glasses pressed on the rubber eyecup I was actually inside the exit pupil, too close to the eyepiece.  If I pulled back a tad, it was very comfortable.  So if eyepieces had enough eye relief for glasses wearers to not have to actually rest their glasses on the eyecup, perhaps 24mm would be a better standard than 20mm.

Excellent point.  I think eyeglass wearers need to be more vocal about their needs.  Those of us who do not wear eyeglasses just cannot understand.  It is not fair that eyeglass wearers cannot enjoy all the eyepiece offerings like those of us who do not wear glasses can.  Might be a wake-up call to OEMs if an eyeglass wearer published an article on CN simply listing eyeglass-friendly focal lengths from each popular line, and those that are NOT (to drive the point home).

I predict, that perhaps a quarter century from now (if we are lucky), this field-use reality will finally find the ears of eyepiece designers.  For the most part, it seems the last thing eyepiece designers do, is actually use their eyepieces!  And by "use", I mean are real observers who observe weekly with their telescopes, not those who are only out at star parties to market or go out on their own only once or twice so they can pretend to be observers.  And by "designers" I mean not only those who design the optics, but also those who design the housing builds.

• leonard, oldphysics, Ohmless and 2 others like this

#74 Supernova74

Supernova74

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Epsom surrey near (London)

Posted 10 August 2020 - 08:07 PM

im finding eyepieces mainly also APO refractors have something in common (attack of the clones an EP,APO saga in a galaxy far away ok then China lol.similer anology as the music industry a well known artist that is grounded and known by everyone and has a following.then a pop on pop off artist try’s to copy it gives it a bit of a remix then calls there own.i think you find it’s never as good as the original Exsplore scientific springs to mind with televue.is there any originality in this day and age.or do thease eyepieces have any copyright or protection.just perhaps someone stole the Keys to the patent office lol.

#75 RichA

RichA

Vanguard

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 10 August 2020 - 11:39 PM

I have a small 4" refractor that I use small light eyepieces in.

For many years, I used a 24mm Panoptic as a low power, but my astigmatism has gotten bad enough I need to use glasses with 14mm or longer.

So I replaced the 24mm Panoptic with an APM 24mm UFF, and it did not disappoint.  It has enough eye relief for glasses, and it is sharp enough in that scope (at only 30x) to be a fine lowest power eyepiece.

The Altair version of the same eyepiece has a steel lower section, but it appears the Orion has an aluminum lower, like the APM.

The Meade is a bit more expensive than the APM, but it should be the same, optically.

Steel?  Like Claves, stainless?  Surely not plain carbon steel?!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics