•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New Meade Eyepieces

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#101 esd726

esd726

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Kewanna, IN

Posted 26 September 2020 - 04:36 PM

If the 28 is as good as the UWAN, I would seriously have to think about replacing my 30 ES82° with it

#102 obsession18

obsession18

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 27 September 2020 - 06:28 PM

You ever try out that 28mm PWA?

I haven't had a chance to try it yet, came down with a case of diverticulitis that put getting my 18" obsession out on hold.

• Ohmless and Echolight like this

#103 Echolight

Echolight

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Texas

Posted 28 September 2020 - 10:30 AM

I haven't had a chance to try it yet, came down with a case of diverticulitis that put getting my 18" obsession out on hold.

Going from one eyepiece recently, to adding a second and third in the past five weeks, I can't imagine buying a fourth and waiting over a month to try it out.

Although with my new 20 Hyperwide and a 40-70, something in between them is kind of on the backburner right now. So no hurry to make a choice around the 28-82 range...unless I were to get a different scope that it would be more ideal for.

Thinking more of a 13 Hyperwide to get something wide closer to the low end of my barlowed zoom.

Oh...and sorry to hear about your condition. Hope it gets better soon. When I first read the word I thought that was some kind of addiction to skin diving until I looked it up.

Edited by Echolight, 28 September 2020 - 11:01 AM.

#104 25585

Voyager 1

• Loc: In a valley, in the SW UK. Dark end of the street.

Posted 10 October 2020 - 05:51 AM

Meade now have the Celestron Ultima Edge as same-optics rival to their UHDs, in addition to APM & Altair.

The 3 rivals for 30mm keep their barrel shape the same but Meade's 30 has a more conical barrel. 

Neither APM or Altair 30s can fit a Dioptrx, & I assume the Celestron would not either.  However, will the Meade?  If so, for some that might be a deal maker.

• russell23 likes this

#105 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 10 October 2020 - 10:30 AM

Meade now have the Celestron Ultima Edge as same-optics rival to their UHDs, in addition to APM & Altair.

The 3 rivals for 30mm keep their barrel shape the same but Meade's 30 has a more conical barrel. 

Neither APM or Altair 30s can fit a Dioptrx, & I assume the Celestron would not either.  However, will the Meade?  If so, for some that might be a deal maker.

And so now Celestron joins APM, Meade, Altair and Orion in selling the same eyepieces in different housings.

Since the eye lenses will all be the same, I doubt any of the 30mm will be DioptRx compatible.

None of those companies has any incentive to make their eyepieces compatible with a TeleVue product.

• John Huntley likes this

#106 25585

Voyager 1

Posted 10 October 2020 - 03:08 PM

And so now Celestron joins APM, Meade, Altair and Orion in selling the same eyepieces in different housings.

Since the eye lenses will all be the same, I doubt any of the 30mm will be DioptRx compatible.

None of those companies has any incentive to make their eyepieces compatible with a TeleVue product.

A Dioptrx can be fitted, but only by removing its lens from the rim, then holding it in place on the eyepiece top rim with the eyecup.  

#107 BillP

BillP

ISS

• Vendors
  • Loc: Spotsylvania, VA

Posted 22 October 2020 - 10:29 AM

I think it's important the designers are amateur Astronomers. Whether they observe every week or not, I think it's important that they're experienced observers.

I see your point.  But ideally it is really the person in charge of the eyepiece development and manufacture that should be an observer, so not simply the optical designer.  If just the optical designer is the observer then the engineering build team could provide a lousy build missing important features for observers and the production manager could choose production efficiencies that mess things up for the observer, etc.  So IMO really most important that the person in charge of the entire eyepiece project be the one that is a seasoned amateur observer (i.e., not a staff member who got a telescope an on occasions looks at things).

• oldphysics and 25585 like this

#108 25585

Voyager 1

Posted 22 October 2020 - 11:52 AM

I see your point.  But ideally it is really the person in charge of the eyepiece development and manufacture that should be an observer, so not simply the optical designer.  If just the optical designer is the observer then the engineering build team could provide a lousy build missing important features for observers and the production manager could choose production efficiencies that mess things up for the observer, etc.  So IMO really most important that the person in charge of the entire eyepiece project be the one that is a seasoned amateur observer (i.e., not a staff member who got a telescope an on occasions looks at things).

Ironic then that so few TV eyepieces have long enough eye relief and easy eye placement for those that need to wear glasses while observing, from a designer of projection lenses.

#109 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 22 October 2020 - 05:10 PM

Ironic then that so few TV eyepieces have long enough eye relief and easy eye placement for those that need to wear glasses while observing, from a designer of projection lenses.

Who often doesn't observe with his glasses on.

I see that of 49 eyepieces produced now, 26 of them have glasses-compatibility.

That is a larger number of glasses-compatible eyepieces than any other company.

So I think your premise is in error.

Just because they don't make the eyepiece you want to see them make doesn't mean they make no glasses-compatible eyepieces.

I see eyepieces from 55mm down to 3mm that are usable with glasses in the TeleVue lines.

• John Huntley, eros312, paul m schofield and 3 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics