•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jupiter and Mars from an all nighter!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 dhammy

dhammy

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Puerto Rico

Posted 06 August 2020 - 07:20 PM

Was out walking the dogs yesterday evening and the sky was looking clear from clouds but hazy. It had been a while since I'd been able to get out and so I made up my mind to give it a shot without having high hopes. Well, turns out transparency wasn't great but the seeing was. Really glad I didn't let the haziness put me off. At my normal capture settings Jupiter is typically at a histogram level of 60-65 but it was down to 47%, but I know people image in the range of 40-60 so I just left it be. 

I decided to begin imaging Mars at 3 am so I had a bit of a break (which I spent running the Jupiter data to see what I had gotten)... I should have taken a nap but you know curiosity lol.gif  Then 3 am to about 4:30 am was spent on Mars before finally packing up and heading to bed. 

These were the results after processing today - definitely glad I didn't let the haziness put me off as I did want to capture the Oval BA approaching the GRS! Was pleased that some of the finer detail was coming through. 

Jupiter-2020-08-06-0301_8UT.jpg

Jupiter-2020-08-06-0346_0.jpg

Then this was a 5 minute capture of Mars. I looked at some of the derotated images but honestly, this single capture seemed to be that bit sharper. Happy with the detail that was coming through on this one too and the tiny part of the south pole visible. 

Mars-2020-08-06-0826_3.jpg

• Sunspot, Rick Runcie, JMP and 40 others like this

#2 Sunspot

Sunspot

Cosmos

• Loc: Surprise, AZ

Posted 06 August 2020 - 07:43 PM

I have found that hazy skies usually produce steady seeing, maybe the temperature gradient is minimal or something. I had that a few nights ago. You got some great images.

• dhammy likes this

#3 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 06 August 2020 - 07:48 PM

Well worth the effort David! waytogo.gif waytogo.gif waytogo.gif That SPC has really shrunk! Looks like you're enjoying the kind of elevation we had for the 2018 Mars apparition now! :)

• dhammy likes this

#4 gene 4181

gene 4181

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: n.e. ohio

Posted 06 August 2020 - 08:12 PM

WOW  , nice work 

• dhammy likes this

#5 sunnyday

sunnyday

Voyager 1

• Loc: the Canadian nebula .

Posted 06 August 2020 - 08:37 PM

superb takes , nice details , thanks .

• dhammy likes this

#6 Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Carterton, New Zealand

Posted 06 August 2020 - 09:40 PM

Haziness in the boundary layer of the atmosphere indicates an inversion of temperature at somewhere around the 2 to 4000 ft level. This occurs under a ridge of high pressure or more generally under a High. At times of lower pressure or under the influence of a Low there is usually no low level inversion present and the boundary layer air is mixed through a deeper layer. An obvious clue of this is showery weather.
Cheers Paul
  • dhammy likes this

#7 Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Carterton, New Zealand

Posted 06 August 2020 - 09:41 PM

Am surprised how quickly the polar cap has shrunk.
  • dhammy likes this

#8 KiwiRay

KiwiRay

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Seattle, USA

Posted 06 August 2020 - 09:56 PM

Am surprised how quickly the polar cap has shrunk.

It's asymmetric.  It is shrinking quickly, but most of it is out of view from this side of Mars. 

• dhammy likes this

#9 JupiterOwl

JupiterOwl

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Pennsylvania

Posted 06 August 2020 - 10:02 PM

That SPC has really shrunk!

Excuse my ignorance. What is an SPC?

• dhammy likes this

#10 KiwiRay

KiwiRay

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Seattle, USA

Posted 06 August 2020 - 10:12 PM

Excuse my ignorance. What is an SPC?

South Polar Cap.

• dhammy likes this

#11 Az Frank

Az Frank

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Tucson Arizona

Posted 06 August 2020 - 10:44 PM

Captured nicely David. Well done.

• dhammy likes this

#12 DMach

DMach

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: The most light-polluted country in the world :(

Posted 07 August 2020 - 06:37 AM

Amazing work David!
  • dhammy likes this

#13 Foc

Foc

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: South Canberra

Posted 07 August 2020 - 07:31 AM

Great images, despite the cloud you have processed them so well that Jupiter, particularly in that first image,is sparking with life!

I like your Mars just as much, it has the fine detail emerging in a very natural way and as really interesting to see such shrinkage in the pole on this side.

Edited by Foc, 07 August 2020 - 07:31 AM.

• dhammy likes this

#14 dhammy

dhammy

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Puerto Rico

Posted 07 August 2020 - 10:18 AM

Thanks all for the likes and comments! I'm just about recovered from the lack of sleep lol.gif  

Yeah it's interesting how haziness seems to give steadier imaging conditions in some cases. Since I set up each night and take it down again, I can find lots of convenient excuses to avoid all the work if I think there's a high possibility of not getting worthwhile images haha. I'll remove haziness from that list now. Well worth getting the equipment out just in case because you could be missing out on a great night! 

The size of the SPC surprised me in the live feed too - I had expected it to be a little larger on this side! It'll be interesting to see if it disappears from this view of the planet soon. The elevation of Mars is fantastic and will hopefully bode well for some nice images around opposition! 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics