•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Lens for Wide Fields

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Harris

Michael Harris

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Kentucky, USA

Posted 06 August 2020 - 07:27 PM

I have a Canon 3Ti/600D “astro modified” and would like to experiment with Milky Way/Meteor photography using it. I have a spare altaz mount for tracking purposes, but do not have a lens for the camera. What recommendations do members have for a decent lens for this purpose? I do not plan to spend lots of money on this, hopefully $150 or less, so what can I get for that?

#2 zakry3323

zakry3323

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Pittsburgh

Posted 06 August 2020 - 07:49 PM

I have a Canon 3Ti/600D “astro modified” and would like to experiment with Milky Way/Meteor photography using it. I have a spare altaz mount for tracking purposes, but do not have a lens for the camera. What recommendations do members have for a decent lens for this purpose? I do not plan to spend lots of money on this, hopefully $150 or less, so what can I get for that?

At that price point I would be looking for prime lenses with easily adjustable manual focus. This opens up a range of lenses, since you can grab pretty much anything that you can find a cheap EF adapter for (you'd want to be focusing manually either way anyways, so no need to pay for something that can auto-focus for you unless you also want to use it in the daytime). 

This might fit the bill just fine, but if you're not in hurry other options will always keep popping up in the used market. 

https://www.adorama.... 1287406.html

Edited by zakry3323, 06 August 2020 - 07:54 PM.

• Michael Harris likes this

#3 aa5te

aa5te

Genial Procrastinator

• Loc: Clinton, TN

Posted 06 August 2020 - 08:10 PM

I highly recommend the Rokinon 12mm f/2.0 lens. You can sometimes find one on ebay or Amazon used/warehouse deal for around $150, maybe a tad more. It's an excellent lens, even wide open. Here's an untracked stack of two 30 second shots @f/2.0 over Mt. Shasta from a few years back using this lens:

Attached Thumbnails

• ght.jpg

• John Rogers, Michael Harris and zakry3323 like this

#4 Steve Haverl

Steve Haverl

Vostok 1

Posted 06 August 2020 - 08:26 PM

Wow, what a gorgeous shot, beautifully composed !

• aa5te likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics