•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Start of Observatory build

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#26 tjay

tjay

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: just outside of Toronto

Posted 05 October 2020 - 07:01 AM

I am building a 10 ft x 12 ft SkyShed.  Hindsight being 20/20 I should have gone with the plywood flooring.  The 1 x 10'make a nice rustic floor, but you need to make sure your lumber is not warped/ crowns to make the flooring work.  Also 1 x 10's are more like 1 x 9.25, so there is a discrepancy in the plans vs what you actually need for the building materials.  I also modified to do T111 siding to fit with the architecture of the house.  I am starting the roofing, and as a 1 person job....get two able body folks!!

The point about the warping/crowning on the 1"x10" lumber is a good one.  The plans calls for a 1"x10" actual, as opposed to 1"x10" nominal.  Nominals are slightly smaller than the given dimensions, which is what causes the discrepancy.  "Actual" are the actual size given, but finding them seems to getting harder and harder.

I will have two able bodied people when I do the roof at least.

BTW, did you just do T111 over the studs?  I was planning on doing OSB over the studs, wrapping that, and then putting the siding over top of that, but I'm wondering if the OSB might be overkill.

You have a nice looking spot for an observatory!

Edited by tjay, 05 October 2020 - 07:03 AM.

#27 HunterofPhotons

HunterofPhotons

Apollo

• *----
  • Loc: Rhode Island, USA

Posted 05 October 2020 - 10:23 AM

Plywood is much more suitable for covering the joists than 1" x 10".  

It's cheaper, won't warp, won't shrink, is less wasteful of trees, and it's quicker to install.

dan k.

#28 Tom K

Tom K

Viking 1

• Loc: Escondido, CA

Posted 06 October 2020 - 02:44 PM

I agree with Dan on the plywood vs planks question on the floors.   I use T111 on all of my outdoor sheds, chicken coops, observatory, etc and it performs quite well.   If I am super concerned about moisture penetration I have also wrapped the studs with felt roofing paper just to provide an additional moisture barrier.   I did not do that in my observatory though as I figured it is going to get wet in there from dew when open a lot and I might want moisture to go the other way.   In our climate here in San Diego we get so little rain that inside to out moisture movement seems to be a far more likely condition than rain getting in.

#29 tjay

tjay

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 06 October 2020 - 03:17 PM

My big concern is the snow that blows around for 4-5 months of the year up here.  We have been getting some pretty high winds around here the last few winters, so I definitely want to keep that stuff out!

#30 timothystraub

timothystraub

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Prosser, Washington USA

Posted 08 October 2020 - 01:18 AM

The point about the warping/crowning on the 1"x10" lumber is a good one.  The plans calls for a 1"x10" actual, as opposed to 1"x10" nominal.  Nominals are slightly smaller than the given dimensions, which is what causes the discrepancy.  "Actual" are the actual size given, but finding them seems to getting harder and harder.

I will have two able bodied people when I do the roof at least.

BTW, did you just do T111 over the studs?  I was planning on doing OSB over the studs, wrapping that, and then putting the siding over top of that, but I'm wondering if the OSB might be overkill.

You have a nice looking spot for an observatory!

I live in Eastern Washington State where it can get quite cold and snowy, but we are typically more mild.  I just did the T111 over the studs, because I did not see the need for the OSB, wrapping, and then the siding.  If I need more insulation, I can always add it inside the observatory and then finish the walls.  Ditto for the roof.  I am just putting tar paper over the rafters and attaching the metal roofing.  Here the consideration is that if the roof becomes too heavy, and you don't plan to automate, it will be hard to push open or closed.

I have a fairly good spot for the observatory.  I would rate my skies as Bortle 4.  I am in the country, but there are farm lights all over the valley.

Thanks and good luck!

• tjay and Tom K like this

#31 tjay

tjay

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 10 October 2020 - 03:35 PM

Finally, a little bit of actual progress (until the rain started):

Squaring up the floor:

Observatory Floor #3

Still squaring up the floor:

Observatory Floor #4

We got one board screwed into the frame before it started raining. Hopefully the rain won't last long and I can get the floor done today.  Then it's time to get the wood for the walls.

I've been trying to stay out of the deck builders way, but he should be finished this week.

• elmiko likes this

#32 tjay

tjay

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 10 October 2020 - 05:49 PM

A little more progress before we started loosing the light:

Floor board being screwed down:

Floor boards

The rest of the floor boards placed on, but not yet cut for the pier and conduit.  That will be tomorrow's job:

Floor boards - not screwed down

#33 tjay

tjay

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 11 October 2020 - 05:10 PM

I got the floor boards cut for the pier and conduit, and all the floor boards screwed down today.

Completed Floor

Along the way, we pulled out the pier to test if the hole I cut in the floor boards was big enough.

Test fit of pier

• Scott Mitchell, dmdouglass, elmiko and 1 other like this

#34 tjay

tjay

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 13 October 2020 - 06:59 PM

One spot I'm getting hung up on is the door.  I'd like something a little more weather tight and secure since I'll be putting my precious telescope in the building.  Ideally, something that I can put a deadbolt in.

I plans call for a shorter door than standard (5' 6"), which means most standard doors are out.  I've been told that cutting a steel door down to size will compromise the structure of the door, since they are a thin steel skin over a wooden frame.

I've gotten quotes on a custom sized exterior door of $700 CAD, which is obviously more than I want to spend.

One idea I've been given is to get some tongue in groove flooring, and make a Z shaped brace, but that isn't really thick enough for most deadbolts.  I've also thought of varying it a bit by putting a frame on the inside of the tongue in groove to make it thick enough for a deadbolt.

Another option is to use the same siding I'm using for the walls and putting it on a frame I build to the size.

Anybody have any other ideas?

Edited by tjay, 13 October 2020 - 07:06 PM.

#35 kathyastro

kathyastro

Vanguard

• Loc: Nova Scotia

Posted 13 October 2020 - 07:25 PM

I made my door (just under 4' high) from plywood over a frame.  I don't remember the details of the construction, but I had no trouble installing a deadbolt.

• tjay likes this

#36 tjay

tjay

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 13 October 2020 - 07:28 PM

I made my door (just under 4' high) from plywood over a frame.  I don't remember the details of the construction, but I had no trouble installing a deadbolt.

Thanks!

Any issues with snow getting inside the observatory?  You probably get more than I do here!

#37 kathyastro

kathyastro

Vanguard

• Loc: Nova Scotia

Posted 13 October 2020 - 08:01 PM

Thanks!

Any issues with snow getting inside the observatory?  You probably get more than I do here!

Not in recent years.  Falling snow has never been a problem.  I did get blowing snow coming in around the shutters initially.  I weather-stripped them with foam pipe insulation.  It squeals like a banshee when the foam rubs against the dome as it opens or closes, but it has kept the snow out.

However, I like to be safe, so I still throw a tarp over the scope when bad weather is forecast.

• tjay and elmiko like this

#38 tjay

tjay

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 18 October 2020 - 09:16 PM

I got the framing for the walls done this weekend.  Not as much progress as I would have liked but at least I'm getting somewhere!

#39 tjay

tjay

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 21 October 2020 - 12:12 PM

Some pictures of the work on the wall framing.  The floor is the flattest, cleanest place in the backyard right now.  The wood for the deck sat out covering the lawn for almost two months before the deck got finished this past weekend, so the rest of the yard is mud.  Solving that's a problem for the spring at this point.

Wall framing

The cordless framing nailer (rented) made short work of driving in the nails!

Wall Framing with Cordless nailer!

Edited by tjay, 21 October 2020 - 12:13 PM.

• Tom K likes this

#40 HunterofPhotons

HunterofPhotons

Apollo

• *----
  • Loc: Rhode Island, USA

Posted 22 October 2020 - 10:40 AM

...The cordless framing nailer (rented) made short work of driving in the nails!

Here's my cordless framing nailer (paid for).

My Hammer.jpg

It also does double duty as a nail extractor and as a 'persuader' among other functions.  Never needs feeding and needs little maintenance. <g>

dan k,

• tjay, elmiko, Tom K and 2 others like this

#41 dallen24

dallen24

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 22 October 2020 - 09:28 PM

Our last two RORs were built entirely with t25 deck screws, no nails.  If the roof doesn't roll right or something doesn't fit tight, screws make it a lot easier to adjust.

Edited by dallen24, 22 October 2020 - 09:29 PM.

• l_stoian79 likes this

#42 ian408

ian408

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Silicon Valley

Posted 22 October 2020 - 09:53 PM

One spot I'm getting hung up on is the door.  

I plans call for a shorter door than standard (5' 6"), which means most standard doors are out.  I've been told that cutting a steel door down to size will compromise the structure of the door, since they are a thin steel skin over a wooden frame.

Have you thought about using a roof hatch door? These are typically used as access doors to the roof structure in a commercial building. They're about 36" wide and maybe 48" tall? 

edit: I should add that you might find something at a recycle building supply too. 

Edited by ian408, 22 October 2020 - 09:57 PM.

#43 tjay

tjay

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 22 October 2020 - 09:56 PM

Our last two RORs were built entirely with t25 deck screws, no nails. If the roof doesn't roll right or something doesn't fit tight, screws make it a lot easier to adjust.

I am planning on using screws to attach the walls to the floor and each other, plus the roof.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk
  • Scott123 likes this

#44 tjay

tjay

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 22 October 2020 - 09:57 PM

Have you thought about using a roof hatch door? These are typically used as access doors to the roof structure in a commercial building. They're about 36" wide and maybe 48" tall?

My latest plan is to go with a frame with 1/4 " plywood as the skin with cross braces. I'll look for a hatch door and consider it. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

#45 tjay

tjay

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 27 October 2020 - 08:22 AM

I got the roof gables framed this weekend and the OSB on the walls.  Slow progress, but I'm making progress.

• Scott123 likes this

#46 tjay

tjay

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 29 October 2020 - 06:55 PM

Some more pictures from this past weekend.  I'm going to take couple of days off next week, so hopefully I can get closer to being done.

Roof gable #1

Roof Gable #1

Full roof gable
20201024 140108 HDR

My best helper putting construction adhesive on the studs to help the OSB stay in place
20201025 170707

Edited by tjay, 29 October 2020 - 10:51 PM.

• Travellingbears likes this

#47 tjay

tjay

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 29 October 2020 - 07:28 PM

A pic of a wall with the OSB being nailed on:

Sheathing

• Travellingbears and Scott123 like this

#48 tjay

tjay

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 01 November 2020 - 01:32 PM

My primary (and so far only) helper (my gf) tweaked her back quite badly putting construction adhesive on the gable frames yesterday :(  Back can be funny things, as move framed walls around wasn't a problem, but bending over with caulking gun was apparently too me.

Not much progress, but that's obviously not my biggest concern right now.  However, the good news is that it was only 4 hours in the ER to get it looked at to ensure it wasn't something more serious.

• Scott123 likes this

#49 tjay

tjay

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 05 November 2020 - 09:04 AM

Big day today!  I've got two extra sets of hands to help me today.  Unfortunately, my girlfriend's back is not much better, but I've got a couple of helpers coming today.  Fingers cross for good progress today.

#50 tjay

tjay

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 05 November 2020 - 06:38 PM

Some good progress today.  It's starting to look like something as opposed to just a pile of materials..

The walls are up!

Wall Up!

Roll off Supports
Roll off Supports

Walls with siding on them
Siding

• elmiko, Astrola72 and Travellingbears like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics