•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Finally got Fujinon HB 12x60 beauty ...wait Oh NO

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#26 Mark9473

Mark9473

Voyager 1

• Loc: 51°N 4°E

Posted 11 August 2020 - 03:52 AM

I agree with Jon. Use the same eye to look through both sides.
  • Jon Isaacs likes this

#27 MellonLake

MellonLake

Apollo

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 11 August 2020 - 06:16 AM

The images with the light from the eyepiece side still make it look like a surface defect (scratch or coating issue) to me.   It just does not really show a fracture surface. 

Rob 

• Jon Isaacs, Milos1977 and mtminnesota like this

#28 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 11 August 2020 - 06:39 AM

The images with the light from the eyepiece side still make it look like a surface defect (scratch or coating issue) to me.   It just does not really show a fracture surface. 

Rob 

:waytogo:

Fractures in glass just don't look like that.  At that length, it would have to be all the way through the thickness of the material..

Jon

• MellonLake likes this

#29 Milos1977

Milos1977

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Woodside - New York

Posted 11 August 2020 - 08:35 AM

I agree, its definitely surface issue. By deeper than coating I mean it appears not to be light scratch but one with chips along the way. It lights up quite a bit. 

Edited by Milos1977, 11 August 2020 - 08:51 AM.

• MellonLake likes this

#30 Rich V.

Rich V.

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada

Posted 11 August 2020 - 09:48 AM

So it's looking like a failure in Fuji's QC letting this one get by; this damaged lens assy was "built in" right from the beginning.

Rich

• Jon Isaacs and Mr. Bill like this

#31 Milos1977

Milos1977

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 11 August 2020 - 09:52 AM

If you are right, then just maybe I can get someone at Fujinon with good will repair this for free! 

They haven't responded yet. I forwarded them better photos though yesterday. 

Edited by Milos1977, 11 August 2020 - 09:57 AM.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#32 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 11 August 2020 - 10:18 AM

If you are right, then just maybe I can get someone at Fujinon with good will repair this for free! 

They haven't responded yet. I forwarded them better photos though yesterday. 

There are manufacturers/vendors who will do such things.. no questions asked.

:fingerscrossed:

Jon

• Milos1977 likes this

#33 SMark

SMark

Aurora

• Loc: Atlanta, GA USA

Posted 11 August 2020 - 02:15 PM

FWIW, I own a Fujinon binocular that came with coating issues. They had me send it to Baker Marine for analysis, and Baker determined that it was defective. Fujifilm then emailed me and told me that they were sending me a NEW replacement. Haven’t received it yet, but they have been affected by COVID-19 so I sort of expect it to take a little longer.
  • Jon Isaacs, Erik Bakker, ianatcn and 1 other like this

#34 Milos1977

Milos1977

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 11 August 2020 - 09:31 PM

Thats quite a story SMark. Did you just recently buy them new with defect, or used?

I wish Fuji would take care of mine one way or another. Im starting to really enjoy them. Its a roof prism beast that really feels good in your hands, and produces very nice bright and sharp views. 

Edited by Milos1977, 11 August 2020 - 09:32 PM.

• hallelujah likes this

#35 SMark

SMark

Aurora

• Loc: Atlanta, GA USA

Posted 12 August 2020 - 12:49 AM

Purchased used from a pawn shop. The defect was pretty blatant. Fortunately my model is still in production, while your model is not. So that will certainly change the results.

#36 slingworks

slingworks

Sputnik

• Loc: Appalachian Ohio

Posted 15 August 2020 - 05:27 AM

Maybe I've missed a post somewhere in these forums, but those fujinons seem to look allot like the docter b/cf 8x58. I wonder if they're the exact same binocular, sourced from someone like kamakura, fitted with different rubber?

Edited by slingworks, 15 August 2020 - 05:28 AM.

#37 normjackson

normjackson

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 15 August 2020 - 06:33 AM

Maybe I've missed a post somewhere in these forums, but those fujinons seem to look allot like the docter b/cf 8x58. I wonder if they're the exact same binocular, sourced from someone like kamakura, fitted with different rubber?

Quite possibly. And this Minox :

https://www.cloudyni...-60mm-aperture/

• whosthebadman likes this

#38 Binojunky

Binojunky

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 August 2020 - 09:37 AM

This was one of the few binoculars I quickly got rid of, bought new on clearance from Eagle Oprtics, the level of CA was horrible, other buyers had a similar experience but others were happy, I guess it was the luck of the draw ?, Dave.

Edited by Binojunky, 18 August 2020 - 09:38 AM.

#39 Milos1977

Milos1977

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 27 August 2020 - 10:11 PM

@ Binojunky

I noticed quite a bit of CA as well when I tested them during sunny day. Reminded me of Action Extreme 12x50 I had twice. I took them out when I went fishing at the sea shore. Sun lit white boats were a tough target for non ED glass 5mm exit pupil with very good light transmission. Thats the thing I think.  They do have great image when used in dimmer situations when they need to resolve low light low contrast detail. Quite amazing actually. It is a specific tool. Great sharp and clear image in less lit situations. 

Edited by Milos1977, 27 August 2020 - 10:16 PM.

#40 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 28 August 2020 - 09:02 AM

FWIW, I own a Fujinon binocular that came with coating issues. They had me send it to Baker Marine for analysis, and Baker determined that it was defective. Fujifilm then emailed me and told me that they were sending me a NEW replacement. Haven’t received it yet, but they have been affected by COVID-19 so I sort of expect it to take a little longer.

Mark:

I am curious about yours and/or anyone else's experiences with Baker Marine.  They're located right here in San Diego and have been around since 1936.. 12 years more than me.. 

Jon

#41 davidmcgo

davidmcgo

Soyuz

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 29 August 2020 - 09:51 AM

I had them fix a few older Porto’s with very good results. Binos were an old Leitz 6x30 Biduxit and an old Nikon 7x35.  Some of the work involved separating and re cementing objectives and collimating.  It was nice to be able to walk in and chat and pick up in person.  Both repairs were probably more than 5 or 6 years ago though.

Dave

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#42 Milos1977

Milos1977

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 19 November 2020 - 02:12 PM

UPDATE:

Yesterday I received my Fujinon 12x60HB back from repair.

Back in August, I decided to contact James F. from Optical devices division of Fujifilm USA , at Wayne NJ facility. He was very helpful even though he told me at the beginning that this binocular is discontinued, and that they might not be able to service it anymore. After forwarding the photos I posted here too, to repair techs, he informed me that they think they can fix it.

He mentioned that my binocular would be sent to Japan service facility and back at their cost, and that it would take time due to pandemic. I would pay for repair only. It turned out to be $110 total my cost so I agreed.

Yesterday I received superbly packed binocular.  It looked so clean and perfect as brand new that I thought they sent me replacement unit maybe from unsold open box sales inventory. Nope! It was mine and it was clean and serviced to the last square cm.

All glass perfectly clean inside and outside.  Right eye focus adjustment adjusted so its more in the middle for my eyes and not all the way to one side. It obviously needed work. Main focus knob feels better even though it was good before. Easier to focus now.

Eye cups are like new now, clicking and staying in place even when i place them hard against my face. Before service they were too smooth and barely clicking so I was never sure if both were at the same step/distance. Not sure parts were replaced or mechanism was overhauled.

Of coarse they took care of the weird line on internal optics. Im finding out what in fact it was. Ill update if I ever find out :-)

I tested it last night against stars, moon, and skyline. Perfect so far, at least as far as collimation, focusing and overall look goes. It was too cold and windy for me to stay more than 5-10min. Enough to know its a keeper!

Just thought I let everyone know that Fujinon did amazing work on my used and discontinued binoculars!

• davidmcgo, Mark9473, hallelujah and 9 others like this

#43 dries1

dries1

Messenger

• Loc: Northwest Delaware

Posted 20 November 2020 - 03:50 PM

That is great news, I once had one which had problems - it went back to the seller. It is good that Fujinon stepped up and repaired the glass. Should be a good night tonight to give them a workout.

Andy W.

• Milos1977 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics