•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Stellarium no longer connects to ASCOM

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 hefyjefy

hefyjefy

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: California Central Coast

Posted 07 August 2020 - 03:41 PM

Been using Stellarium for years.  About 6 months ago I started using ASCOM/EQMOD and connected Stellarium to my Sirius mount with no problem.  Yesterday Stellarium would not connect and launch the EQMOD control panel.  PHD2 still working just fine.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled Stellarium, found and deleted any .ini files but no luck - very strange.  Have switched to Cartes du Ciel for the moment which also works.

Any ideas are gratefully accepted!

Geoff

#2 SonnyE

SonnyE

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Cali for ni a

Posted 07 August 2020 - 04:47 PM

Did you recently upgrade to ASCOM 6.5?

The latest ASCOM is reported to have issues with some things.

I, too, am using Stellarium to run my mount. Been doing that for about 4 years now.

But I'm not too keen on going and looking for trouble. IE: Jumping on buggy updates.

Even though you don't run a Losmandy mount, maybe this can help?

Edited by SonnyE, 07 August 2020 - 04:48 PM.

#3 hefyjefy

hefyjefy

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 August 2020 - 09:21 PM

Well this version of ASCOM was my introduction to the whole EQMOD thing, (prior to this I had just used Stellarium with the SynScan HC ) and everything worked initially right off the bat, PHD2, Stellarium etc.  I did actually go back to the previous version of Stellarium because of an exchange I saw over on the Stellarium forum...

Since everything else works just fine I am inclined to think its a Stellarium problem, I gather the telescope module is a bit new.

Geof

#4 MikeECha

MikeECha

Mariner 2

• Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 08 August 2020 - 04:39 PM

Been using Stellarium for years.  About 6 months ago I started using ASCOM/EQMOD and connected Stellarium to my Sirius mount with no problem.  Yesterday Stellarium would not connect and launch the EQMOD control panel.  PHD2 still working just fine.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled Stellarium, found and deleted any .ini files but no luck - very strange.  Have switched to Cartes du Ciel for the moment which also works.

Any ideas are gratefully accepted!

Geoff

There seems to be a problem with the telescope control plugin in Stellarium 20.2 (latest ver). It does not connect automatically. I have to go and connect manually every time I start it up. No problem after that.

I also noticed that when parked and if I zoom in, the mount circle is not on the celestial pole marker or the center/interception of meridians of the polar coordinates grid. I do not know if this is new. I never noticed it. Either of these does not seem to cause any problem just an inconvenience I am not used to.

#5 hefyjefy

hefyjefy

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 August 2020 - 10:54 PM

Yes I saw that bug listed on GitHub.  The annoying thing for me was that up until a couple of days ago everything had worked faultlessly, now having gone back to Stellarium v20.1 AND uninstalled a Windows update that happened to coincide with the problem I still have the same problem.  I am learning Cartes du Ciel, its good, works perfectly just doesn't look as pretty...  

#6 MikeECha

MikeECha

Mariner 2

• Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 10 August 2020 - 09:50 PM

Yes I saw that bug listed on GitHub.  The annoying thing for me was that up until a couple of days ago everything had worked faultlessly, now having gone back to Stellarium v20.1 AND uninstalled a Windows update that happened to coincide with the problem I still have the same problem.  I am learning Cartes du Ciel, its good, works perfectly just doesn't look as pretty...  

I reverted back to V20.1 and it does connect to the mount on start up though. 

#7 hefyjefy

hefyjefy

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 August 2020 - 12:50 AM

I solved the problem.  I saw somewhere that the old StellariumScope program should still work, even with the latest (v20.2) of Stellarium.  So uninstalled everything (again) got hold of StellariumScope and reinstalled.

Bingo, working!  This will do for now, its just possible that this laptop might be part of the problem its rather old and I am running 32 bit windows...

Geoff

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics