•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Difference in Distances

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Older Padawan

Older Padawan

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Colorado USA

Posted 07 August 2020 - 03:48 PM

I hope this is the right place for this question. I'm trying to understand the difference in the reported distance to Messier objects. Stellarium shows M27  as 861 Ly away but NASA shows it at 1227 Ly. I imagine I'm reading something wrong but I need a little help to understand. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

#2 Love Cowboy

Love Cowboy

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Houston, TX USA

Posted 07 August 2020 - 03:50 PM

You may not be reading anything wrong, at least with M27. Planetary nebulae are notoriously hard to measure distance to.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
  • Older Padawan likes this

#3 Older Padawan

Older Padawan

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Colorado USA

Posted 07 August 2020 - 03:59 PM

You may not be reading anything wrong, at least with M27. Planetary nebulae are notoriously hard to measure distance to.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Thanks Love Cowboy

#4 Organic Astrochemist

Organic Astrochemist

Viking 1

Posted 07 August 2020 - 04:19 PM

Love Cowboy is correct about the difficulty of determining the distance to planetary nebulae, but the larger value is based on GAIA measurements and is likely the more accurate.
https://arxiv.org/pdf/2001.08266.pdf
  • Older Padawan likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics