•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Eyepiece Suggestions

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 BillyBlast01

BillyBlast01

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Ozark Mountains Of Arkansas For Now

Posted 07 August 2020 - 03:54 PM

I HAVE CHANGED MY MIND AND MY SETUP

Hey group, this is a pic of the telescope I am going to buy to get back into stare gazing.Orion StarBlastII.png this is from the site I will be ordering from.

This wide-field reflector telescope comes with an AstroTrack drive for easy motorized tracking of objects in the night sky

A nicely portable motorized telescope setup for backyard astronomers of all skill levels
Fast f/4 telescope optics provide a very wide field of view, making it easy to locate and observe celestial objects
Included AstroTrack drive provides hands-free motorized tracking for convenient stargazing
Also includes EZ Finder II reflex sight for easy aiming, 25mm and 10mm Sirius Plossl eyepieces, MoonMap 260, collimation cap and more!

As you can see it comes with two eyepieces and I have been away from this for so long what other eyepieces would you suggest that I get? My primary goal for now is to view the moon and other planets for now to get back into it. Once I move back to Florida hopefully by next summer I will be setting up my own little observatory with a larger telescope. That's my plan anyway...

Edited by BillyBlast01, 08 August 2020 - 02:01 PM.

#2 Sam M

Sam M

Viking 1

• Loc: Maryland

Posted 07 August 2020 - 04:21 PM

It depends on your budget, of course.  A Meade 5.5mm UWA, or Explore Scientific 4.7mm 82 degree afov, would be good dedicated eyepieces for planets / high magnification in that scope. 

I'd also suggest a GSO 2x 'shorty' barlow.  That will put your 10x plossl into planetary range.  Also, you can get about 1.5x by unscrewing the cell from the bottom of the barlow and screwing it into the bottom of your eyepiece.

• Bistromath and BillyBlast01 like this

#3 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 07 August 2020 - 04:36 PM

A 3.2mm Astro-Tech Paradigm Dual ED will produce a magnification of 140x and an exit pupil of 0.7mm, if you don't want to go the Barlow route.  The eyepieces in the Paradigm line are very good performers considering the price.

https://www.astronom...d-eyepiece.html

Since the focal length of that telescope is only 450mm, a Barlow lens is probably a good thing to have, which means a longer focal length Paradigm than the 3.2mm would be appropriate.

• Sam M and BillyBlast01 like this

#4 BillyBlast01

BillyBlast01

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 August 2020 - 04:40 PM

It depends on your budget, of course.  A Meade 5.5mm UWA, or Explore Scientific 4.7mm 82 degree afov, would be good dedicated eyepieces for planets / high magnification in that scope. 

I'd also suggest a GSO 2x 'shorty' barlow.  That will put your 10x plossl into planetary range.  Also, you can get about 1.5x by unscrewing the cell from the bottom of the barlow and screwing it into the bottom of your eyepiece.

Hey Sam M thanks for the info. It's been almost 12 years since I I had a scope. I have forgotten a lot of what I knew. I had heart surgery just over 2 years ago and I had memory loss from it. But now I'm back on track and I am going to do the things I enjoy and this is my main hobby. 

• Sam M likes this

#5 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators

Posted 07 August 2020 - 04:42 PM

BTW, CN members get a small discount from Astronomics.

https://www.cloudyni...y_discount.html

• BillyBlast01 likes this

#6 BillyBlast01

BillyBlast01

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 August 2020 - 04:46 PM

A 3.2mm Astro-Tech Paradigm Dual ED will produce a magnification of 140x and an exit pupil of 0.7mm, if you don't want to go the Barlow route.  The eyepieces in the Paradigm line are very good performers considering the price.

https://www.astronom...d-eyepiece.html

Since the focal length of that telescope is only 450mm, a Barlow lens is probably a good thing to have, which means a longer focal length Paradigm than the 3.2mm would be appropriate.

One thing I am looking at is my future scope will be larger of course and what I buy now will also be used for that one as well. I really do appreciate the info! I am going with this scope because my last scope 12 years ago was a Celestron 4.5 go to and this one has the tracking motor to let me manually find what I want to view (refresh my memory) and track it with the motor if I decide to take a few pics.

#7 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Western Maine

Posted 07 August 2020 - 04:49 PM

Hello Billy.,If you have not bought that scope yet you may want to reconsider.,For $20 more you can get a 130mm tabletop scope that will show you more and be a much more stable platform with the right base under it.,Those  eq1 mounts are the bane of beginners.,Others may disagree.,and thats ok.,they are alright for small refractors.,but the ota on that deal is gonna be shakey breaky.,best of luck with your choices.,

Check out the OneSky thread  in the beginners forum.,1/2 way down page 1.,.,here's mine. souped up a bit.,

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190327_183143.jpg.jpg

Edited by clearwaterdave, 07 August 2020 - 04:52 PM.

• SteveG, jiblet65, Echolight and 1 other like this

#8 Sam M

Sam M

Viking 1

• Loc: Maryland

Posted 07 August 2020 - 05:02 PM

That scope is well suited to wide field views.  Hopefully you have access to some nice dark skies there in the Ozarks.  I'd get a book like 'Turn Left at Orion' to help find stuff to look at, and help remind you of general astronomy info.  Also, SkySafari  is a great phone app.

#9 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators

Posted 07 August 2020 - 05:04 PM

One thing I am looking at is my future scope will be larger of course and what I buy now will also be used for that one as well. I really do appreciate the info! I am going with this scope because my last scope 12 years ago was a Celestron 4.5 go to and this one has the tracking motor to let me manually find what I want to view (refresh my memory) and track it with the motor if I decide to take a few pics.

A 3.2mm eyepiece is probably not going to be useful very often, or at all, in a future long focal length telescope.

You probably shouldn't expect to be able to do much astrophotography with that telescope and mount other that afocal smart phone photos of the Moon and perhaps the bright planets.

#10 BillyBlast01

BillyBlast01

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 August 2020 - 05:05 PM

OK Dave I went to Astronomics and now I'm drooling lol Thanks for the heads up. 

#11 BillyBlast01

BillyBlast01

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 August 2020 - 05:12 PM

Hello Billy.,If you have not bought that scope yet you may want to reconsider.,For $20 more you can get a 130mm tabletop scope that will show you more and be a much more stable platform with the right base under it.,Those  eq1 mounts are the bane of beginners.,Others may disagree.,and thats ok.,they are alright for small refractors.,but the ota on that deal is gonna be shakey breaky.,best of luck with your choices.,

Check out the OneSky thread  in the beginners forum.,1/2 way down page 1.,.,here's mine. souped up a bit.,

Hey clearwaterdave thanks for the input. As I have said I have been gone from the hobby for 12 years and I lost some memory after my heart surgery just over 2 years ago. Back in the day lol I was going to upgrade to a Dob but I didn't because of a divorce. I'm still single so I can buy what I want lol. I like your setup. I was thinking before I looked at that one to go with the 150mm Orion GoTo and thats why I decided to get on here and start searching and asking questions. I don't want to make the mistakes I made in the past...

• clearwaterdave likes this

#12 BillyBlast01

BillyBlast01

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 August 2020 - 05:53 PM

I come here looking for suggestions to make a simple eyepiece choice and now I am thinking about changing my complete setup lol. It's all good. I greatly appreciate the info. My long term goal is to get some really nice photos and I know that the 4.5 I am looking at will not do DSO. I remember that from my last 4.5 Celestron GoTo I had. I was thinking to use this one to get back into viewing before I make my move hopefully next year but I drove over the road for 15 years after I got out of the Army I think I can pack a larger telescope safely. That is the one reason I am thinking of going with the smaller cheaper scope so I would not damage a bigger more expensive one if something unexpected happened during my move. My long term goal is to go to an 8 inch or larger so I may just go ahead and wait until I can do that. Hopefully it wont take me that much longer to get what I need put back. I do have one thing on my list I did remember. A laser collimation tool lol

#13 Bistromath

Bistromath

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Central Minnesota, USA

Posted 07 August 2020 - 11:04 PM

Adding the 2x barlow and the ES 4.7mm should be a solid addition to the Orion Plossls that come with the Starblast.

The scope also comes with a collimation cap.  You may want to consider adding a sight tube/Cheshire to help with collimation instead of the laser collimator.

Edited by Bistromath, 07 August 2020 - 11:06 PM.

#14 whizbang

whizbang

Viking 1

• Loc: NE of Seattle, WA

Posted 08 August 2020 - 05:19 AM

Billy,

I am glad you are reconsidering.  I also think that short fast Newts on cheap equatorial mounts are poor choices for beginners (an experienced user would never pick one!).

If you do a search, the standard advice is "get a 8 inch DOB".  I think this applies to you.  Get an 8 inch DOB.  It's the most aperture for the money and puts up some outstanding views.

Edited by whizbang, 08 August 2020 - 05:20 AM.

• BillyBlast01 and Don L1930 like this

#15 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Hubble

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 08 August 2020 - 05:34 AM

Hello Billy.,If you have not bought that scope yet you may want to reconsider.

I agree. I like the StarBlast a lot when it's on its tabletop mount -- in fact I owned one for many years. But I think that the AWB OneSky and the Zhumell Z130 are both clearly superior in almost every way for barely any extra money -- which is why I now own a Z130 instead of a StarBlast.

I have also used the StarBlast in its equatorial configuration, and I think it's not a great match. The mount is distinctly underweight for that optical tube. And since the StarBlast's strength is low-power viewing, and the main virtue of an equatorial mount is easy tracking at high power, I prefer an alt-az mount for such scopes in any case.

That goes doubly for motorizing the mount. The StarBlast does fine up to 100X or a bit higher, but really struggles at high magnifications, largely because of the focuser. And it's so easy to hand-track at 100X -- with either mount -- that motors seem pointless.

• Sam M and BillyBlast01 like this

#16 BillyBlast01

BillyBlast01

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 August 2020 - 08:40 AM

Billy,

I am glad you are reconsidering.  I also think that short fast Newts on cheap equatorial mounts are poor choices for beginners (an experienced user would never pick one!).

If you do a search, the standard advice is "get a 8 inch DOB".  I think this applies to you.  Get an 8 inch DOB.  It's the most aperture for the money and puts up some outstanding views.

Hey whizbang, even though I may not be a true beginner I do consider myself as one now. I have not had a telescope in almost 12 years and I had heart surgery 27 months ago and I have some memory loss. The loss is not bad but it's there. I am looking at a 8 inch DOB, but I have to consider weight. My lower back and my chest to I have to be mindful of my weight. I think the 8 inch DOB will do nicely. 

#17 BillyBlast01

BillyBlast01

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 August 2020 - 08:49 AM

I agree. I like the StarBlast a lot when it's on its tabletop mount -- in fact I owned one for many years. But I think that the AWB OneSky and the Zhumell Z130 are both clearly superior in almost every way for barely any extra money -- which is why I now own a Z130 instead of a StarBlast.

I have also used the StarBlast in its equatorial configuration, and I think it's not a great match. The mount is distinctly underweight for that optical tube. And since the StarBlast's strength is low-power viewing, and the main virtue of an equatorial mount is easy tracking at high power, I prefer an alt-az mount for such scopes in any case.

That goes doubly for motorizing the mount. The StarBlast does fine up to 100X or a bit higher, but really struggles at high magnifications, largely because of the focuser. And it's so easy to hand-track at 100X -- with either mount -- that motors seem pointless.

Thanks for your input and advice. I do greatly appreciate anything that anyone says. I may still get a 4.5 tabletop but my primary would be an 8inch telescope on a good mount with GoTo. I think even with my disabilities I can move one around just fine.

Edited by BillyBlast01, 08 August 2020 - 02:32 PM.

#18 BillyBlast01

BillyBlast01

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 August 2020 - 02:51 PM

Good afternoon everyone, I thought about it last night until I went to bed and I have thought about it all day. If I'm going to get back into this I am going to do this and spend a little more money in the long run so I can view and take some descent pics as well. This is the setup I have came up with so far. 

Attached Thumbnails

• Orion Telescope 8in.jpg
  • telescope.com purchase list.jpg

#19 starprincess66

starprincess66

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Peoria,IL

Posted 09 August 2020 - 09:19 AM

I loved  reading this topic, I  myself  own a  celestron 70mm telescope, the eyepieces that I have our a 20mm eyepiece,and a

10 mm eyepiece, which is better for  studying Jupiter, that is the planet that I am studying at the moment 

I  looked through my scope at  the moon, and what a sight it was just to see the craters, was awesome cool, but I am 

So studying Jupiter at this point.

The thing I am just not sure about is which of the two eyepieces to use 

My 20mm one versus the 10mm one waytogo.gif waytogo.gif waytogo.gif

#20 Bistromath

Bistromath

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Central Minnesota, USA

Posted 09 August 2020 - 08:10 PM

BillyBlast:  Looks like a nice step up from your original scope choice!  I looked over your accessory choices and want to pass along a couple of bits of advice that I have seen in other threads on CN.  I will freely admit that I don't have enough experience yet to say how accurate this info is, but I am trusting that the info is good, based on the wealth of knowledge of the contributors on CN.  Here goes:

1. Collimating eyepiece:  The scope you are looking at has a 2 inch focuser and the collimating eyepiece you selected is 1.25 inches in diameter.  My understanding is that you will get more accurate results using a 2" collimating eyepiece due to not having to use the 2" - 1.25" adaptor.

2. Eyepiece & filter kit:  Most recommendations I have seen on CN state to avoid the kits.  Instead, choose individual eyepieces based on the magnification they provide, the exit pupil, field of view, and of course, the cost.  You may want to review the Eyepiece forum - there are plenty of threads about eyepiece recommendations and many opinions on eyepieces.  The one constant seems to be the recommendation to avoid the kits.

#21 SteveG

SteveG

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 09 August 2020 - 11:39 PM

I agree 100% with Bistromath on both issues. Get 2" tools!

#22 BillyBlast01

BillyBlast01

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 August 2020 - 09:28 AM

BillyBlast:  Looks like a nice step up from your original scope choice!  I looked over your accessory choices and want to pass along a couple of bits of advice that I have seen in other threads on CN.  I will freely admit that I don't have enough experience yet to say how accurate this info is, but I am trusting that the info is good, based on the wealth of knowledge of the contributors on CN.  Here goes:

1. Collimating eyepiece:  The scope you are looking at has a 2 inch focuser and the collimating eyepiece you selected is 1.25 inches in diameter.  My understanding is that you will get more accurate results using a 2" collimating eyepiece due to not having to use the 2" - 1.25" adaptor.

2. Eyepiece & filter kit:  Most recommendations I have seen on CN state to avoid the kits.  Instead, choose individual eyepieces based on the magnification they provide, the exit pupil, field of view, and of course, the cost.  You may want to review the Eyepiece forum - there are plenty of threads about eyepiece recommendations and many opinions on eyepieces.  The one constant seems to be the recommendation to avoid the kits.

Hey Bistromath, thanks for the heads up, I will be looking in the eyepiece forum sometime today. As for the collimator I will be changing my list to update that as well. I have not had a telescope in 12 years and with my minor memory loss from my heart surgery I am posting here to get the advice from the forum. I have already read a lot of great posts. Again thanks for the heads up, I have a long way to go but I'm retired now so it's full steam ahead, one step at a time.

#23 BillyBlast01

BillyBlast01

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 August 2020 - 09:31 AM

I agree 100% with Bistromath on both issues. Get 2" tools!

Hey SteveG thanks for the heads up, I will be changing my list on some things today. I greatly appreciate the help from everyone here on the forum. 

#24 jiblet65

jiblet65

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: la Florida

Posted 10 August 2020 - 10:19 AM

I've been contemplating getting a bigger telescope next year and I've looked at the Dobsonian setups as one possibility. Of course I'd like to get a 10" but I'd have to store it in the garage so I'm not sure how well that would work even with a cover. So as an alternative I've considered one of these tabletop models. Did you make your tripod or are they available on the market? Looks like a nice portable setup which is what I'd like to have.

#25 BillyBlast01

BillyBlast01

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 August 2020 - 12:24 PM

Hey Dave, I went to Astronomics today and setup an account. I looked for Orion on there but I did not see one. I did see Meade and Celestron which are brands I have owned in the past. I also checked and the credit finance company I use online is good to go at Astronomics. YES!!! I will start researching and building a new list for what I want. Thanks for the info!!!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics