•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

10 Micron GPS wont connect

mount equipment
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Michaeljhogan

Michaeljhogan

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 August 2020 - 04:16 PM

I cant figure it out i have both wires going into the MGP Box it just stopped working it seems to be still sending the right GPS signal

The GPS signs is missing from hand controller and when starting up it says GPS not Connected I really hope it’s not broken 250 Euro for new box.

Attached Thumbnails

• Annotation 2020-08-07 220726.png

Edited by Michaeljhogan, 07 August 2020 - 09:26 PM.

#2 lambermo

lambermo

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: .nl

Posted 08 August 2020 - 08:09 AM

I don't have an MGP box, did you try the troubleshooting hints from the manual ? 

Troubleshooting
If your MGPBox does not work as expected, please check the following:
 Verify in Device Manager the FTDI Serial Port shows up. Install / reinstall the driver if necessary (http://www.ftdichip....Drivers/VCP.htm)
 If configuring ASCOM Connection and it appears that nothing happens when you click the “Configure” button, look in your task bar for an additional window. Sometimes the ASCOM Setup-Dialog ends up behind the other windows and is therefore not apparently visible.

from https://astromi.ch/F...English 1.1.pdf

#3 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Gemini

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 08 August 2020 - 06:39 PM

test with a laptop computer and connect via usb. Take it out to a clear area with no interference.  Run the MGBox software.  See if any sats are locked/found.

Go under settings, check the box that says send meteo and gps data to mount.  

plug the RJ10 cable into the mount and reboot the mount.

Pull up the MBBox software log to see if it is sending data to mount.

Make sure you stop the mount so it isn't tracking.

#4 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 08 August 2020 - 06:39 PM

When you say both cables, do you mean that you have it connected to both the computer and the mount at the same time?  I'm not sure that you are supposed to do that, but I have never tried it myself.  What are the LED's showing you?

#5 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 08 August 2020 - 06:41 PM

Also, make sure to contact Martin directly.  He answers quickly.

#6 psandelle

psandelle

Soyuz

• Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 08 August 2020 - 07:07 PM

When you say both cables, do you mean that you have it connected to both the computer and the mount at the same time?  I'm not sure that you are supposed to do that, but I have never tried it myself.  What are the LED's showing you?

The USB to the computer is just a software front end so you can see what’s going on. You don’t need it, but I like to look to see everything is doing its thing. So, yes, two cables is fine, one to the mount, one to the computer.

Paul

#7 yzhzhang

yzhzhang

Viking 1

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 08 August 2020 - 11:30 PM

The USB to the computer is just a software front end so you can see what’s going on. You don’t need it, but I like to look to see everything is doing its thing. So, yes, two cables is fine, one to the mount, one to the computer.

Paul

Plus you probably need USB to computer if you want to use the "pulse start/stop" function.

#8 Michaeljhogan

Michaeljhogan

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 August 2020 - 12:42 AM

When you say both cables, do you mean that you have it connected to both the computer and the mount at the same time? I'm not sure that you are supposed to do that, but I have never tried it myself. What are the LED's showing you?

I got it working Ed it just seems to start working weird it was missing the little blinking center dot and the G sign which it usually has it seems to be working now.

Edited by Michaeljhogan, 10 August 2020 - 01:44 AM.

• psandelle likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mount, equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics