•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Beamsplitter question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 tomhole

tomhole

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 May 2003 - 06:48 PM

Hello everyone,

I have a something that I was curious about. On my Denk standards, there is a small gap between the side of the beamsplitter and the housing of the unit (see the picture, it's on the right side of the hole where the light goes in). Can someone with a set of Denk's look at theirs and see if it is the same. I will call Russ tomorrow to ask him about it, but I got home too late from work today. So, I thought I'd ask the nice folks here.

Thanks,

Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• 2142-denkbeamsplitter.jpg

#2 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 22 May 2003 - 07:00 PM

Hi Tom:

That's normal. If you measure the actual opening when you have the nosepiece off, you will find that it measures 29mm. The beamsplitter is probably about 28mm. Denkmeier claims 26mm clear aperture. So, the nosepiece and components inside are not utilizing the beamsplitter all the way to the edge.

Clear skies,
Jim

#3 tomhole

tomhole

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 May 2003 - 08:32 PM

Jim,

Thanks for the reply. Russ gave me a call tonight at 2000. What a great guy. He said I have an older set of Denks. The newer ones have a larger retaining ring inside that would cover up the edge of the prism when looking at it without an OCS installed. I put the nosepiece on and looked through the binos and you cannot see the edge of the prism, either through the ep or from the business end. No problems.

I also asked him about converting the Denk standards to Denk II's. He said that would not be possible.

He also said he is very busy getting the Denk II's ready.

Clear skies,

Tom

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics