•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New guide scope, can't get precise focus

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 petercoxphoto

petercoxphoto

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 August 2020 - 06:54 PM

Hi guys -

I replaced my ST80 guidescope with a shorter, faster one from Teleskop Express - this one: https://www.teleskop....php/info/p6383

It arrived today and I fitted it with my ASI120MM and was disappointed to find that I just can't get sharp stars with it. They are misshapen and assymetrical. Here's a link to a short video I took showing my focus procedure - I'm sliding the focus barrel in and out during the video by tiny amounts at a time, passing through the point of best focus to the other side and back again. You can see the point of best focus just isn't good at all.

https://www.dropbox...._focus.mp4?dl=0

I know guidescopes don't tend to be great in terms of image quality, but this seems excessive?

Thoughts welcome!

Cheers,
Peter 

#2 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 07 August 2020 - 07:03 PM

Are you tracking when you do that?  If not, it's to be expected.

For the very best focus, get it close enough to engage autoguiding.  _Then_ focus.

I know getting another guidescope is very unappealing.  But you should know this, nevertheless.  It may help you. 

This is why people like guidescopes with helical focusers in addition to the sliding tube.  You get focus close with the sliding tube.  Autoguide.  Tweak focus with the helical focuser.  I'm making movements of maybe 10 degrees rotation when doing that.  Or less.

Edited by bobzeq25, 07 August 2020 - 07:08 PM.

#3 petercoxphoto

petercoxphoto

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 August 2020 - 07:08 PM

Hi Bob - yes, I'm tracking while doing that. The problem really seems to be some sort of aberration in the scope itself. I've played with this a lot and simply can't do better than the video. 

Cheers,
Peter

Edited by petercoxphoto, 07 August 2020 - 07:09 PM.

#4 KTAZ

KTAZ

Viking 1

• Loc: Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 07 August 2020 - 07:12 PM

That unit has a back focus of 36mm...have you measured the distance to your chip? You might need to back it out a bit if it is too close.

#5 petercoxphoto

petercoxphoto

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 August 2020 - 07:14 PM

It's not a backfocus problem. If you look at the video you'll see I'm passing through the zone of best focus and out the other side. I can get focus, it's just really poor. 

• bobzeq25 likes this

#6 Readerp

Readerp

Ranger 4

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 07 August 2020 - 08:13 PM

Looks like tilted optics

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics