•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SPI 60mm F\16.7 Model 525 refractor

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Trever

Trever

Gemini

• topic starter
  • Loc: North Alabama

Posted 07 August 2020 - 09:11 PM

Hey everyone,

I came across this scope in a local thrift shop for about 40 dollars. It has the usual nicks, scratches and dents but overall it is in decent shape. I had to replace the tripod legs and tray, cleaned out the sticky grease from the mount head and focuser but so far that is all I have had to do. It came with the wooden case, ep's, diagonals and barlow.

What would be the best way to clean the optics? I'd like to be able to use it every now and then just out of nostalgia. I've always wanted something like this ever since I was a kid so I'd like to take care of it. As you also can see, the focuser shaft is bent but still works. Should I try to straighten it out or just leave it?

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200807_205022.jpg
  • 20200807_205120.jpg
  • 20200807_205142.jpg

• gitane71, combatdad and Bomber Bob like this

#2 Piaget

Piaget

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Eastern Missouri

Posted 07 August 2020 - 09:26 PM

Excellent find , should have superior optics. 1000mm FL is a bonus. Lay the scope on its back , turn focus arm around so the bent wheel is up at the height of its arc towards you and tap down lightly with a small hammer. Repeat till straight. I have done this many times with no bad results.

#3 Richard O'Neill

Richard O'Neill

Vanguard

Posted 07 August 2020 - 10:10 PM

At that angle you might get lucky when attempting to straighten the shaft, ... but then it could also break. I'd leave it alone and look for a replacement before trying anything drastic. Good luck.

Richard

PS. Congratulations. That's a great find at a great price. They're very nice telescopes. I've had one for several decades.

PPS. The focuser knobs and shaft are plated brass. Very easy to break. Ask me how I know. tongue2.gif

Edited by Richard O'Neill, 08 August 2020 - 12:22 PM.

• Marc-Andre likes this

#4 Trever

Trever

Gemini

• topic starter
  • Loc: North Alabama

Posted 08 August 2020 - 09:17 PM

The scope is not an heirloom so while it is not valuable, I do want to protect it. It is functional the way it is so no hurry to test the strength of it. Maybe if I have a replacement and I feel brave I might try it. I do need to clean the glass on the ep's, diagonal and the main objective. But other than that, I just like looking at it even if i always don't get to look through it......lol.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics