•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A very bright meteor on early morning Aug 8

observing observing report
  • Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Huan

Huan

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: New York

Posted 08 August 2020 - 12:31 AM

Aug 8, 0:24 AM Eastern Time; 4:24 UTC
New York City

There’s a very bright meteor appeared in Delphinus and disappeared in Ophiuchus.

It was very fast. Felt like 10 to 20 times of the speed of ISS. The whole process lasted around 0.5 to 0.75 second.

It was very bright. I’m in New York City and the sky was covered by the cloud. Yet I could see it clearly behind the cloud the whole time. The magnitude was obviously brighter than -4, but I don’t know exactly how bright it was. It was somewhere between Venus and the full moon with the cloud covering it (meanwhile the moon was almost invisible behind the cloud ).

The color was white and blue. It didn’t appear as a point but a disk of half diameter of the moon.

There was no sound.

I have never seen such bright meteor in my life. I was very impressed yet everything happened so fast. I wonder if anyone else on CN saw it.

Edited by Huan, 08 August 2020 - 02:24 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: observing, observing report

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics