•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New C6 - love it

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jtrobinson2001

jtrobinson2001

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: San Marcos, CA

Posted 08 August 2020 - 12:37 AM

Hi all,  I read a lot but don't often post but had to give a thumbs up on my new C6 SCT.   I've been in the hobby many years and had many scopes.  I have a 90s era 8" black tube celestron SCT and have always liked it, but its a bit heavy for my mounts.   At $450 new I thought the C6 was worth a try.   After 3 nights I think this is going to be my favorite for a long time.   It's lighter than my 5" Mak,  images are at least as sharp, and its noticeably brighter.   But what prompted this post was an extraordinary evening here in San Diego,  air is as still as I've ever experienced.  So I kept pushing higher powers on Saturn until I was out of eyepieces.   That was at 469x, if I did the math correctly, 8mm radian with a 2.5x powermate.  The image was starting to get soft but still pleasing.   Tack sharp with the 12 mm at 313x.   

Another nice surprise, the focuser has very little backlash,  and no discernible shift.   That might be because its new, but it seems greatly improved compared to the older 8".

I have it on an older NexStar+ mount and they are well matched.  The 8" SCT was on the ragged edge for this mount.   Vibrations gone in less than a second.   Easy to focus.

So thumbs up for the C6, has to be one of the best values for $ out there.

Edited by jtrobinson2001, 08 August 2020 - 02:45 PM.

• mclewis1, Sam M, Thomas Marshall and 4 others like this

#2 clusterbuster

clusterbuster

Apollo

• Loc: Tampa Bay, Fl.

Posted 08 August 2020 - 03:11 AM

Telescopes are SO COOL !

Mark

#3 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Aurora

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 09 August 2020 - 11:07 AM

Glad you like your C6, Jim.  I owned a C6 evolution model earlier this year and it was very sharp as well, could take magnifications of 250-300X on the moon and planets.  Sold it for an 8” Meade ACF which is also very good optically.  But someday I am going to get another C5 or C6 for a lighter setup.

Bill

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics