•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jupiter 8/7/2020

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dallen24

dallen24

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 August 2020 - 01:01 AM

Hi.  Just came back from the observatory, where we were observing Jupiter.  Was anyone observing this evening?  If so, can you confirm what we saw?  We saw Ganymede's transit on the north belt, then the red spot on the south belt, followed by Io's transit on the north belt.  Later, we saw Io's transit overtake the red spot, then what looked like a white spot in the north belt with a black knot on it's edge.  So, was there a white spot in between the Io transit and a black knot?  Was the black knot a festoon?  The white spot couldn't have been Clyde's spot, which travels closer to the south pole.

• AstroFrankMontana likes this

#2 MJB

MJB

Explorer 1

Posted 08 August 2020 - 01:19 AM

Jove0807_testmov_pipp_lapl3_ap68_crop2.jpg Just came back in myself - here's an image I took with Io on the left just clearing the planet. GRS and Io shadow too. I see some light and dark features trailing Io's shadow - is this what you are describing?

Image is C8 with Morpheus 17.5 + Brandon Dakin 1.5 barlow eyepiece projection to Olympus OM-D EM5. 

Seeing not too bad and it was fun to watch the transit.

Edited by MJB, 08 August 2020 - 02:27 AM.

• Paul Morow, Thomas Marshall and AstroVPK like this

#3 JOEinCO

JOEinCO

Apollo

• Loc: Colorado Front Range

Posted 08 August 2020 - 06:13 AM

Person asks a question...a very specific question.

Poof! Eighteen minutes later another person shows up with a PICTURE of the time in question.

I love this site.... bow.gif 

• MJB likes this

#4 dallen24

dallen24

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 August 2020 - 09:18 AM

attachicon.gifJove0807_testmov_pipp_lapl3_ap68_crop2.jpgJust came back in myself - here's an image I took with Io on the left just clearing the planet. GRS and Io shadow too. I see some light and dark features trailing Io's shadow - is this what you are describing?

Image is C8 with Morpheus 17.5 + Brandon Dakin 1.5 barlow eyepiece projection to Olympus OM-D EM5. 

Seeing not too bad and it was fun to watch the transit.

Yes, the light and dark features trailing the transit.  Is that an actual feature, a white spot surrounded by festoons?

#5 MJB

MJB

Explorer 1

Posted 08 August 2020 - 11:42 AM

Yes, the light and dark features trailing the transit.  Is that an actual feature, a white spot surrounded by festoons?

That's what it looked like to me. I'm not sure if it's a stable long-lived feature or transient.

#6 dallen24

dallen24

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 August 2020 - 12:07 AM

Hi.  Just came back looking at Jupiter 8/24/2020 10:00 pm.  We saw Io's transit.  Thought we saw Io, but then saw Io pulling away from Jupiter on the other side.  Question, what did we see?  Couldn't have been Io.  Was it a festoon on the north belt near the transit?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics