•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

any raspberry pi users? need some help please

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#26 RemcoNL

RemcoNL

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Dieren, The Netherlands

Posted 09 August 2020 - 04:39 AM

Ok I’m getting lost here, any tutorials/videos that demonstrate how to operate the simulator?confused1.gif confused1.gif

Don't worry too much about it. EKOS has somewhat of a learning curve (I don't think much more than any other platform.) And you'll grow into it. Basically, most of the "official" tutorials on Youtube use the simulator. But I'll try to create a short video that demonstrates it in more detail. 
I've been playing with the idea to start an EKOS channel on Youtube perhaps a good way to get my feet wet. undecided.gif

Also, we're getting a little off topic. But I think most posts demonstrate that there are a lot of viable options. And that a Astroberry/Stellarmate setup can cater to many different situations. Be it directly connected through wifi hotspot or crosscable or over the network wireless or cabled.
If you are taking your setup on the road it might be worth looking into extra storage for yuor PI. I don't have any experience with that but I hear people mentioning SSD's a lot. 
Personally, I would investigate a fast thumbdrive that could plug into your PI. But again, no experience.

#27 Bc0428

Bc0428

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 August 2020 - 05:15 AM

Don't worry too much about it. EKOS has somewhat of a learning curve (I don't think much more than any other platform.) And you'll grow into it. Basically, most of the "official" tutorials on Youtube use the simulator. But I'll try to create a short video that demonstrates it in more detail. 
I've been playing with the idea to start an EKOS channel on Youtube perhaps a good way to get my feet wet. undecided.gif

Looking forward to your channel and thanks! waytogo.gif waytogo.gif

#28 RemcoNL

RemcoNL

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 09 August 2020 - 09:12 AM

To paraphrase Mark Twain:
I apologize for the long video - I did not have time to make you a short one.

I never should have mentioned the YouTube channel. I'm really not setup to do these videos.

Nevertheless, I hope you can see through the production quality and the video helps you in some way.
Let me know if I missed something.
https://youtu.be/mgPQ6hxkNKo

O and don't get spooked by the platesolve failure in the end. I've gotten in to work multiple times.

#29 wxcloud

wxcloud

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Denver, Co

Posted 09 August 2020 - 11:55 AM

Ekos is a weird quirky beast at times, but I'm getting used to the basics of it. Plate solving, mostly misses for me, not sure why. Too many stars? Bad wifi connection? A 1 forgot to be carried? Most times it fails, but seems to get me in the ballpark.

I do wish it had a framing feature, I have read something about a super mosaic maker in the scheduler, but usually skip the scheduler because I forget it's there.

Kind of don't like that everything you want to use needs to be plugged in and powered before you can change settings. However you can add basic stuff.

Still need to get around to flashing an arm version Debian based image on one of my pis

#30 RemcoNL

RemcoNL

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 09 August 2020 - 12:05 PM

Ekos is a weird quirky beast at times,

Yes she is.

That's why I've adopted the "if it works; don't fix it" mentallity. ;-)

Regarding plate solving. What service do you use?
My solving went 10x better when I started to offline solve.
And about 100x faster and better when I switched to ASTAP.

Now it solves in 1-5 seconds. Only got it to work 2 weeks ago.

But credit where credit is due.
I started to use the scheduler more regularly. And now I'm enjoying pretty much fully automated evenings.
The first night I play around and frame my shot in K-Stars. Copy the coordinates into the scheduler, do my polar alignment and run the sequence.
On the rest of the nights I basically only remove my dust cap and watch the images come in.

Edited by RemcoNL, 09 August 2020 - 12:16 PM.

#31 RemcoNL

RemcoNL

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 09 August 2020 - 12:15 PM

Plate solving, mostly misses for me, not sure why. 

I absolutely hate when that happens.

Whenever it really fails to solve any target, I park my mount and delete the mount model. Then unpark and try again. Most of the times i can get it to work that way. Allthough, I havent had the issue recently.

#32 endlessky

endlessky

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Padova, Italy

Posted 09 August 2020 - 12:40 PM

Plate solving, mostly misses for me, not sure why. Too many stars? Bad wifi connection? A 1 forgot to be carried? Most times it fails, but seems to get me in the ballpark.

Kind of don't like that everything you want to use needs to be plugged in and powered before you can change settings. However you can add basic stuff.

I had to troubleshoot a little, too, in order to get plate-solving to work. Some things come to mind:

- do it offline, much faster, doesn't need to rely on an internet connection

- download all the appropriate indexes for your focal length and sensor dimension combinations

- make sure before you launch a plate-solve, that the focal length in the telescope tab of EKOS matches the focal length of the telescope/lens you are using

I got it working pretty much 100% of the time after doing the above.

As far as everything needs to be plugged in, I made different profiles (with appropriate names), if I need to only test one piece of equipment, independently of the other ones (example, mount only, DSLR only, etc.). This way you can troubleshoot and save the appropriate settings of each piece of equipment, before you launch everything together.

Edited by endlessky, 09 August 2020 - 12:40 PM.

• RemcoNL likes this

#33 Bc0428

Bc0428

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 August 2020 - 09:36 PM

To paraphrase Mark Twain:
I apologize for the long video - I did not have time to make you a short one.

I never should have mentioned the YouTube channel. I'm really not setup to do these videos.

Nevertheless, I hope you can see through the production quality and the video helps you in some way.
Let me know if I missed something.
https://youtu.be/mgPQ6hxkNKo

O and don't get spooked by the platesolve failure in the end. I've gotten in to work multiple times.

This is very helpful! Thanks for your effortbow.gif

• RemcoNL likes this

#34 wxcloud

wxcloud

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Denver, Co

Posted 13 August 2020 - 04:06 PM

I do the on line solver. Will try to switch to offline. Guess I need to plug everything in to get to that menu to change the solver location.

Can get the basics and an image out of the system and before I upgraded my OS I could auto guide :)

Edit:
I keep forgetting about wiki pages. I think I found the offline stuff. However using multiple set ups, I guess I need to figure out my various possible field of views? Probably won't mess with things for the moment, not awake enough to tinker

Edited by wxcloud, 13 August 2020 - 04:55 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics