•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Need to remove glued focuser flange

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 dron2015

dron2015

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 08 August 2020 - 01:17 AM

Fellows,

is here any kind soul and a skilled enough person to remove the glued focuser flange? I want to change focuser, but the flange is glued to the scope. Tried to unscrew the flange w/ the brute force - no luck. doublechecked w/ vendor - glued frown.gif Cutting the tube might be required frown.gif

or please advise me against this surgery.

Bay Area, CA

Best,

Andrey

Edited by dron2015, 08 August 2020 - 01:19 AM.

#2 sg6

sg6

Cosmos

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 08 August 2020 - 02:06 AM

No point cutting it as then the tube itself is too short.

Did whoever use glue or hot glue?

How you would find out I am unsure but a hot glue gun is easy for such assembly. Also gives the possibility that gentle heat could release the focuser. A glue needs mixing and applied within a time limit, a heat gun you just switch on, apply, insert the 2 bits and allow to cool. For assembly very easy and I guess "safer".

If glue then you need to know exactly what and then find out if there is a solvent. But a glue solvent tends to be strong and in my experience has not ever worked.

If you apply a solvent and allow to soak in - Acetone maybe - I would expect paintwork to come off.

• dron2015 likes this

#3 dron2015

dron2015

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 08 August 2020 - 02:38 AM

well, I even used industrial heat gun to warm it up a bit. no luck :(

#4 skytele

skytele

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sedona, AZ

Posted 08 August 2020 - 04:57 AM

What type of "glue"?  I have used Bob Smith Industries Debonder but not on plastics and it may take paint off.

• dron2015 likes this

#5 kfiscus

kfiscus

Fly Me to the Moon

• Vendors
  • Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA

Posted 08 August 2020 - 12:13 PM

Without seeing it, my instinct would be grinding it off with my Dremel or sanding it off with my belt sander.  What is the plan for a replacement?  Do you have a focuser and adapter plate/flange in mind?

Is this a refractor or reflector?

Edited by kfiscus, 08 August 2020 - 12:15 PM.

• dron2015 likes this

#6 dan_h

dan_h

Gemini

Posted 08 August 2020 - 12:35 PM

well, I even used industrial heat gun to warm it up a bit. no luck frown.gif

Almost all glues will fail with applied heat.  You probably didn't get it warm enough.

Strip the focuser as far as you can to remove any/all parts that may have some grease on them and then soak the remaining part with the flange in a warm oven for at least a half an hour.  It should separate then.  Start at 250 degrees and if it doesn't come apart with that, up the temperature 25 degrees until you have success.  Just be sure to allow adequate soak time so the glue gets hot. 

good luck.

dan

on edit:   My mistake. I didn't realize the flange is glued to the tube.  You could still use the oven if the the tube will fit but you would want to remove the focuser and the lenses before baking it. I would also be a little concerned about changing the paint color by heating the tube. 

Edited by dan_h, 08 August 2020 - 12:42 PM.

• dron2015 likes this

#7 dron2015

dron2015

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 08 August 2020 - 02:06 PM

Fellows,

this 6'' 1200FL refractor

per il gran finale, it seems that the tube is not metal = some composite most probably. the scope per se is undoubtedly was well made and I like it very much. I applied quite large flow of heat by the industrial heat gun and the brute force of two angry men.

Yes, I have focuser in mind - actually, already bought it and have been using over some time thru custom made flange that attaches to the glued flange and to focuser on the other side. the issue with this structure - it is too long -  I cannot add large reducer like riccardi M82, if I do - I cannot reach focus. as of this moment I am using smaller reducer (it goes inside focuser) and works fine w/ my asi1600. 

However, It seems that I made all gremlins in mount go away and I am ready to go for a bit wider sensor, so larger flattener/ reducer.

So , ideally, i would try to cut off the old flange - glue int the end of the scope sope flange with thread (so to make it universal) and attached to this flange my nitecrawler. is it cheaper to manufacture absolutely new scope? and attach to it both - the lens and the focuser?

Best,

Andrey

Edited by dron2015, 08 August 2020 - 02:11 PM.

#8 kfiscus

kfiscus

Fly Me to the Moon

• Vendors
  • Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA

Posted 08 August 2020 - 04:52 PM

"brute force of two angry men"  I LOVE IT!  waytogo.gif

So, I would stuff a clean rag or paper towels inside the tube (past the offending flange) and commence to Dremeling with cutting wheels and a coarse sanding drum.

Edited by kfiscus, 08 August 2020 - 04:56 PM.

• dron2015 likes this

#9 m. allan noah

m. allan noah

Apollo

• Loc: Virginia, USA

Posted 09 August 2020 - 07:26 AM

show us pictures. there may be an alternative, like boring the flange out to a larger size in situ.

allan

• dron2015 likes this

#10 dron2015

dron2015

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 09 August 2020 - 11:38 AM

Well, here it comes...

123-13.jpg

https://www.cloudyni...rt-8/?p=9759450

Edited by dron2015, 09 August 2020 - 11:39 AM.

#11 m. allan noah

m. allan noah

Apollo

• Loc: Virginia, USA

Posted 10 August 2020 - 05:37 PM

Nice scope. Would be a shame if something bad happened to it :) Can you tell the shape of the inside of the existing flange? Is it conical on the inside too?

• dron2015 likes this

#12 dron2015

dron2015

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 10 August 2020 - 06:39 PM

Nice scope. Would be a shame if something bad happened to it smile.gif Can you tell the shape of the inside of the existing flange? Is it conical on the inside too?

yes, it is really nice scope - I like it very much. and fully agree with you - if i do a mistake - it would be terrible. but for imaging I feel like I am not using it in its full capactiy :( It definitely can delivery good picture for larger sensor

Yes, it is conical inside. I am thinking about to cut it just near the flange. this is just general thoughts - since I do not yet have new flange with thread to install instead of it.

Alternative would be to sell it and to buy another or just to be in peace with this flange :(

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics