•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Quick question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mrrodgerdelodger

Mrrodgerdelodger

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Leicestershire, UK

Posted 08 August 2020 - 02:45 AM

I have 8 edge hd on evolution mount...
Can I simply put a small refractor on the Evo mount and will the goto work? Any alignment issues when swapping between the 2 OTAs?
I know I might be able to piggyback but what if I run them separately?

Can someone tell me pros and cons. Many thanks!

#2 Thomas Marshall

Thomas Marshall

Viking 1

• Loc: Spring Valley AZ.

Posted 08 August 2020 - 03:12 AM

I use my SE6/8 mount with my C8, and AT102ED F7, and my little 80 Master Birder when I want goto ability. Your Evo-mount should be even more robust and capable. I put together a 90* bracket with dovetail on side to mount to telescope mount, and a short dovetail clamp on top of bracket, so I can slide scope on top and secure. This gives me more clearance on focuser end to keep diagonal from hitting base of mount when going near zenith. It works great. In fact I think it works even better than with the C8, as both refractors are lighter and easier to attach, and the lithium battery lasts longer with the lighter load. The mount goes where it goes regardless of what is mounted on it, as long as it is not Too Long, or Too Heavy.   I have never tried swapping scopes during the same session. Perhaps, if you were very careful, you might do this without losing alignment. I don't know. 

Edited by Thomas Marshall, 08 August 2020 - 03:14 AM.

• clusterbuster and Mrrodgerdelodger like this

#3 Supernova74

Supernova74

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Epsom surrey near (London)

Posted 08 August 2020 - 04:02 AM

Well the OTA of the the C8 edge weighs in around the 6kg mark and is the same mount for the 9.25 OTA which weighs 20lbs or a shade over 9kg so weight shouldn’t be an issue as along its well balanced I think the problem you will have tho is if the refractor is to long it may hit the bottom of the fork mount when closer the zenith.so I would be careful in your initial puchase and make sure the focal length or overall length of the refractor is not to long.the another important factor to consider is your possible eyepiece collection as I gather has been catered for the C8 edge so you might have to start up all again in suitable eyepieces for the refractor it can be a costly process unless you can introduce an X2 Barlow lens of some description.and lastly piggy backing on to your sct shouldn’t be to much of an issue as you got around 3-4 kg additional weight capacity to play around.i would advise that the accessories are not piled up on both scopes tho ie diagonals eyepieces and any additional accessories to keep the overall weight down.you just may have to add an OTA counterweight system for your sct to keep balance in check this will allow better efficiency on the motor drives of the mount.

• Mrrodgerdelodger likes this

#4 whizbang

whizbang

Viking 1

• Loc: NE of Seattle, WA

Posted 08 August 2020 - 04:34 AM

The EVO mount is very robust and you can run just about any scope that will fit and stay under the weigh limits.

On a long OTA like a refracter, you should probably slide the tube as far forward in the tube rings as possible to keep the rear of the OTA from striking the mount when your observing near zenith.

• Mrrodgerdelodger likes this

#5 Mrrodgerdelodger

Mrrodgerdelodger

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Leicestershire, UK

Posted 08 August 2020 - 10:05 PM

Many thanks for your help guys, much appreciated

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics