•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First light after Ha mod

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bretw01

Bretw01

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: IL USA

Posted 08 August 2020 - 04:31 AM

I sent my D5300 to lifepixel back in June for a Ha mod and just got it back this week (7-10 business days?). Tested it out last night on M8 and M20. Using a 300mm F4 Nikon lens on an AVX mount I shot wide open and iso800 to avoid trailing (unguided). 

50x45 for a whopping 37.5 minutes. 

30 flats

75 bias

The sensor has some large dirt spots, saw them with two different lenses. Would have thought it would be cleaned after doing the mod.

M8_2_PIPSw.jpg

The mod is worth doing!

Bret

• Starman27, 17.5Dob, md11spotter98 and 2 others like this

#2 endless-sky

endless-sky

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Padova, Italy

Posted 08 August 2020 - 04:47 AM

Beautiful image and great results from the mod!

I bought a used D5300 and modded it myself and loving the results as well.

May I suggest you - since the D5300 is ISO-less or ISO-invariant - to shoot at 200 ISO? The dynamic range is at its highest at 200 ISO and raising the ISO shouldn't give you any benefit. The way I understand it, the data collected per pixel is the same, raising the ISO just boosts what is already there (multiplies it by a factor), it doesn't increase the amount of light being collected.

#3 Starman27

Starman27

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Illinois, Iowa

Posted 08 August 2020 - 11:34 AM

You made a good choice. You have what you need . Good work.

• Bretw01 likes this

#4 Bretw01

Bretw01

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: IL USA

Posted 08 August 2020 - 11:41 AM

Beautiful image and great results from the mod!

I bought a used D5300 and modded it myself and loving the results as well.

May I suggest you - since the D5300 is ISO-less or ISO-invariant - to shoot at 200 ISO? The dynamic range is at its highest at 200 ISO and raising the ISO shouldn't give you any benefit. The way I understand it, the data collected per pixel is the same, raising the ISO just boosts what is already there (multiplies it by a factor), it doesn't increase the amount of light being collected.

Thank you.

I normally shoot at iso200, but because of the mount and focal length I raised it to avoid star trailing. I also shot with the lens wide open, and the star shape suffered because of this. My histogram showed a significant difference between iso200 and 800. I could see the difference as well.

This was just a quick test, I hope to do some serious imaging with it soon.

Thanks for your feedback!

Bret

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics