•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Skywatcher AZ-EQ5 GT

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Cydonia76

Cydonia76

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Sydney

Posted 08 August 2020 - 05:26 AM

I’m looking at getting one of these mount for my C8, the version with the standard tripod.

Can anyone advise how well it works? Tracking accuracy, pointing accuracy, and what are vibrations like and how bad is back lash

im also thinking of the iOptron AZMount PRO., has anyone tried both?

80% of my use will be for visual use with high power planetary and planetary imaging .

it would be nice to have the option to convert to EQ and dabble with some longer exposures, but if the iOptron is a much better Mount then I’d rat

her go with that.

does the alignment procedure allow to align on Planets or the moon?

Any comment will be much appreciated

Edited by Cydonia76, 08 August 2020 - 05:32 AM.

#2 Phil Sherman

Phil Sherman

Gemini

• Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Posted 08 August 2020 - 01:25 PM

You can't accurately align on the moon because it's an extended target and almost impossible to locate the exact center of the moon. Planets can be used for alignment but are almost always not as accurate as stars because their positions are always calculated. Planets closer to the sun than Uranus are also not points but are small extended objects.

A two star alignment takes only a couple of minutes and is much more accurate than using planets or the Moon.

• RossW likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics