•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Can you image with a Linux laptop?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Shimonu

Shimonu

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Sweden

Posted 08 August 2020 - 11:58 AM

What software is available for Linux when it comes to imaging, guiding and so forth? I know you can use a raspberry pi, but is there anything for laptops running Linux?

#2 Mark233

Mark233

Explorer 1

• Loc: Elizabeth, PA

Posted 08 August 2020 - 12:13 PM

You can use Kstars/Ekos which is a complete imaging package. TheSkyX has a Linux version for both x64 and arm processors. Phd2 also has a Linux version for guiding if you don’t want to use the built in guiding in Kstars. There’s probably others but these are the ones that I have actually used.

I went down this “I’m never using Windows again” road about a year ago. Long story short, I’m running Windows 10 on my observatory laptop. I just got too frustrated trying to get everything to work well together. In the end, all I want to do is image and not troubleshoot software issues all night long.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • 17.5Dob and Shimonu like this

#3 SiouxCityRat

SiouxCityRat

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 08 August 2020 - 12:32 PM

GIMP is also available on Lynux

#4 Shimonu

Shimonu

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Sweden

Posted 08 August 2020 - 01:35 PM

You can use Kstars/Ekos which is a complete imaging package. TheSkyX has a Linux version for both x64 and arm processors. Phd2 also has a Linux version for guiding if you don’t want to use the built in guiding in Kstars. There’s probably others but these are the ones that I have actually used.

I went down this “I’m never using Windows again” road about a year ago. Long story short, I’m running Windows 10 on my observatory laptop. I just got too frustrated trying to get everything to work well together. In the end, all I want to do is image and not troubleshoot software issues all night long.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Ah, good to know. Thanks a lot. I would probably give it a try at least, wouldn't cost me anything other than time and frustration I guess :p

#5 TelescopeGreg

TelescopeGreg

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Auburn, California, USA

Posted 08 August 2020 - 02:32 PM

The short answer to your question is "yes". 

I've found that all the stuff that's available for the Raspberry Pi is available for "regular" Linux on a laptop.  Using a Pi is nice, since it's low power and small (mine sits on the tripod's eyepiece tray), boots quickly, and Linux in general doesn't need to be "managed" like a Windows system does. 

• Shimonu likes this

#6 Der_Pit

Der_Pit

Surveyor 1

• Loc: La Palma

Posted 09 August 2020 - 06:10 PM

KStars/EKOS has been mentioned.  It's what I use for all my observations.  There is also Cartes du Ciel and CCDCiel, and Firecapture or OACapture if you're more for short exposure/planetary stuff.

I do use two computers (both under Linux), though.  The mount computer (an ASUS PN40 mini PC) runs INDI to connect to devices and PHD2.  KStars I run on the laptop to control things.

I wouldn't know how to image without a Linux laptop... wink.gif

#7 wxcloud

wxcloud

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Denver, Co

Posted 09 August 2020 - 06:37 PM

Yup. Currently been wrestling with things myself. Desktop is Manjaro 17 for processing with gimp, use astap under wine for stacking fits file.

Use mint 20 with ekos to acquire the images and control the mount etc. Have a lot to learn. And yes, I do get frustrated at times. Actually booted back into my windows box but end up back with Linux shortly.

Anyway, if you want to see what a noob can do with Linux, my last few posted images where done with a Linux workflow :)

Oh, I will say, if you use a Debian based distro (mint for example) don't get ekos from the built in software center, it's out of date... Had to go to the kstars site and enter the commands to add the ppa and bleeding edge.

Here is the link
https://edu.kde.org/kstars/#download

And scroll down to the Linux download area. I'd avoid the snaps...

Give mint a go :)

Edited by wxcloud, 09 August 2020 - 06:40 PM.

• Shimonu likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics