•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 PaulD

PaulD

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 August 2020 - 12:08 PM

Hi I’ve just joined your forum and I’m looking forward to educating myself. I’ve always loved anything to do with our solar system and beyond and I’m old enough to remember Sir Patrick Moors the sky at night lol. I know almost nothing about astronomy but I’ve recently been given a Mead go to 102/800 telescope so I’m really looking forward to trying it out. A quick question if I may? Inside the battery compartment there is a button cell with a sticker saying it can only be changed by the factory? I’ve got the correct battery but is it safe to change it myself? The telescope seems to be working fine by the way.

#2 Dave McCrary

Dave McCrary

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Gladstone, Oregon

Posted 08 August 2020 - 12:26 PM

Welcome Paul!

I can't help you with your battery but som.one will. If it is easily accessible I don't see why you could not change it. 

Dave 

• PaulD likes this

#3 MikeHC8

MikeHC8

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego

Posted 08 August 2020 - 12:47 PM

Welcome, this is the place to learn, or how much I really don't know site.  Everyone is great here and you'll have fun.

• PaulD likes this

#4 sg6

sg6

Cosmos

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 08 August 2020 - 12:53 PM

Half guess you are in the UK (?)

Meade 102/800, bit unaware of that on a goto. Guess an achro refractor and at f/8 area should be quite good. If you have an 8mm eyepiece try Saturn.

Would expect the battery is for maintaining Time. People complained and I never understood why. Not exactly hard to read the time off a watch and enter it. And you would read it anyway in case mount and watch differed.

Returning to factory is presently I guess not possible. So in a way you have 2 options:

Forget it and live with a dead battery,

Pull it out and put in a new one.

Meade alignment is simple, they did get that right.

If you are in the UK then supply the data you enter. I found one odd thing on mine. The Timezone for some reason had to go in a -0, not 0. More a point to note then anything.

#5 clusterbuster

clusterbuster

Apollo

• Loc: Tampa Bay, Fl.

Posted 08 August 2020 - 12:56 PM

Welcome to CN, where we enjoy the Greatest, most rewarding hobby there is,

ENJOY

Mark

#6 ShaulaB

ShaulaB

Vanguard

• Loc: Missouri

Posted 08 August 2020 - 01:19 PM

Hi Paul, and welcome to CN!

Do you have the Meade Audiostar mount for this scope? Is the telescope called the StarNavigator 102? If so, I have the same scope.

In the main battery compartment inside the middle of the mount, there is a holder for 8 AA batteries. These can be replaced. And for powering the mount without burning through a million batteries, my husband rigged both a re-chargeable battery pack with longer life, and an A/C adapter I can plug in to a wall. Both run the mount well. Perhaps your battery compartment is different from mine. Kindly don't go experimenting until you get a more definitive answer.

Sending an email to Meade (good luck) or a reputable telescope vendor (better choice) might give you a more informed answer. Best of luck!

#7 PaulD

PaulD

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 August 2020 - 03:25 PM

Thanks for the reply guys, Yes that’s the one I’ve got, going to try it out tonight and see how I get on with it. Had to buy a new battery holder as the old one was covered in green battery gunk. I’ve aligned it and I’m waiting till it goes dark enough to see some stars etc. I’m looking forward to looking at the moon especially the mountains and craters.

#8 kfiscus

kfiscus

Baltic Birch Dob Bases

• Vendors
  • Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA

Posted 08 August 2020 - 05:03 PM

Welcome!  You have come to the right place.  I would recommend that you add your general location to your profile so that we can steer you toward resources and help.  Good luck.

#9 PaulD

PaulD

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 August 2020 - 05:39 PM

Thanks for the welcomes and advice. I’ll update my profile now

#10 barndoorscope

barndoorscope

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 08 August 2020 - 05:49 PM

I’m looking forward to looking at the moon especially the mountains and craters.

One tip for observing the moon: I've always found it more enjoyable to observe when it's somewhere between crescent and gibbous, but not all the way to full.  With a full moon, you lose shadows and thus visual cues about the 3D nature of the terrain.  Near the terminator you get the best indications of 3d structure.

#11 rexowner

rexowner

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: SF Bay Area, California

Posted 08 August 2020 - 05:50 PM

Welcome to Cloudy Nights!

• PaulD likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics