•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Autostakkert 4?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 wargrafix

wargrafix

Aurora

• topic starter
  • Loc: Trinidad

Posted 08 August 2020 - 07:01 PM

I am hearing rumors of a 4th version. Is this true?

#2 Sunspot

Sunspot

Cosmos

• Loc: Surprise, AZ

Posted 08 August 2020 - 07:25 PM

I saw a youtube video of Emil showing off the beta, at least that was what it said. I know nothing more than that.

#3 Tulloch

Tulloch

Vanguard

• Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 08 August 2020 - 08:10 PM

Emil has said he's working on it, just check out his new avatar

https://www.cloudyni...user/25173-mvz/

Andrew

• R Botero and gfstallin like this

#4 KTAZ

KTAZ

Apollo

• Loc: Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 08 August 2020 - 08:27 PM

Book that into evidence...

• gfstallin likes this

#5 troyt

troyt

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 12 August 2020 - 01:19 AM

Here is another recent video of Emil showing AS!4 and some of it features.

https://www.youtube....h?v=JIjXmRh1DE0

• R Botero, eros312, AndyBooth and 6 others like this

#6 wargrafix

wargrafix

Aurora

• topic starter
  • Loc: Trinidad

Posted 12 August 2020 - 07:48 AM

It looks really impressive! Planet system stacker is an impressive option also. Its a great time to be a planetary imager

#7 DMach

DMach

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: The most light-polluted country in the world :(

Posted 13 August 2020 - 12:35 AM

Here is another recent video of Emil showing AS!4 and some of it features.

https://www.youtube....h?v=JIjXmRh1DE0

Interesting and informative video ... although the host needs to learn to let their guest do the talking, rather than butting in all the time lol.

• troyt, eros312, AstroEthan and 1 other like this

#8 Dunkstar

Dunkstar

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Posted 13 August 2020 - 03:15 AM

Emil comes across as a top bloke waytogo.gif

• eros312 likes this

#9 troyt

troyt

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 13 August 2020 - 04:54 AM

Hope it hasn't been to frustrating programming the AutoStakkert!4 program. 

+1 on the top bloke

Edited by troyt, 13 August 2020 - 05:05 PM.

#10 Dunkstar

Dunkstar

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 13 August 2020 - 05:33 AM

Something tells me he hasn’t been literally pulling his hair out :rofl:

#11 Tulloch

Tulloch

Vanguard

• Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 13 August 2020 - 05:40 AM

Things that I learnt:

1. Emil does a completely different debayering technique from every other program I'm aware of (see at 1:39:40, after the host fumbled his way through an incorrect explanation of what AS! does). AS! treats the colour video as separate single colour sub-frames, one as 25% red, one as 25% blue and the other 50% green but doesn't interpolate the empty pixels between them. Instead, it fills these empty pixels with the appropriate colour as the video progresses and the frames jiggle around. No interpolation needed. The red, green and blue channels are completely separate!

2. I should be using multiscale alignment points sizes, as this (should) give me sharper images.

3. AS!4 has the ability to split long video files and stack the short sections automatically - ideal for creating smooth animations!

4. There are 99 other hidden features that Emil hasn't documented (can't wait to hear about them smile.gif)

5. The field de-rotation feature is used by others (including the host), but I'm still not sure whether it's been implemented for colour videos

6. Emil is a really cool guy, and I'm really looking forward to when AS!4 is released.

Andrew

Edited by Tulloch, 13 August 2020 - 05:41 AM.

• eros312 and Peregrinatum like this

#12 DMach

DMach

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 13 August 2020 - 07:31 AM

Things that I learnt:

1. Emil does a completely different debayering technique from every other program I'm aware of (see at 1:39:40, after the host fumbled his way through an incorrect explanation of what AS! does). AS! treats the colour video as separate single colour sub-frames, one as 25% red, one as 25% blue and the other 50% green but doesn't interpolate the empty pixels between them. Instead, it fills these empty pixels with the appropriate colour as the video progresses and the frames jiggle around. No interpolation needed. The red, green and blue channels are completely separate!

2. I should be using multiscale alignment points sizes, as this (should) give me sharper images.

3. AS!4 has the ability to split long video files and stack the short sections automatically - ideal for creating smooth animations!

4. There are 99 other hidden features that Emil hasn't documented (can't wait to hear about them smile.gif)

5. The field de-rotation feature is used by others (including the host), but I'm still not sure whether it's been implemented for colour videos

6. Emil is a really cool guy, and I'm really looking forward to when AS!4 is released.

Andrew

The multiscale alignment points (to avoid edge and other low contrast area tracking issues) was my biggest learning as well, plus the fact that we can depend on the auto placement (as long as we adjust the min bright setting appropriately). I had already been setting smaller AP manually on high contrast areas (e.g. the GRS) but hadn't thought about the edge tracking ... might help with some of the blurring towards the limbs?

His insights on the noise setting in the quality estimator were interesting as well.

Yes, it was nice to learn that AS basically doesn't do debayering at all - it just needs to know the bayer pattern so that it knows which pixels to ignore during the channel split. I'm so glad it does no interpolation, makes much more sense to fill in with real data due to natural dithering.

And last but not least: AS4 looks *fast* ... can't wait for that! (Although I suspect Emil has a beast of a computer setup.)

#13 DMach

DMach

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 13 August 2020 - 08:00 AM

PS:

This is the "expand" and "limit" functions? These seem to be available already in v3.1 ... or maybe I missed something?

This was another thing that I learned: there is a v3.1!! Need to check his website more often lol.

Oh, and one other cool thing with AS4: you can hand the videos over to DeTeCt automatically to check for asteroid strikes!

• Tulloch likes this

#14 dhammy

dhammy

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Puerto Rico

Posted 13 August 2020 - 08:11 AM

Fingers crossed he meets his goal to get it finished before the end of the year smile.gif I’m looking forward to the faster speed Emil was talking about - when you have a few hours of recordings it will make a big difference! 

I’ll be making a donation to say thanks! 

• GeorgeInDallas, gfstallin and DMach like this

#15 Dunkstar

Dunkstar

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 15 August 2020 - 10:46 PM

And last but not least: AS4 looks *fast* ... can't wait for that! (Although I suspect Emil has a beast of a computer setup.)

Emil mentions his laptop is an 8-core (16 threads) at one point in the video.

My capture machine is only dual core, but I’ll take any speed improvements I can get cool.gif

• dhammy likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics