•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Lunar and Planetary with a Sony a6500

astrophotography planet
  • Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Paradoxdb3

Paradoxdb3

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada

Posted 08 August 2020 - 07:42 PM

I have only ever used my Sony a6500 mirrorless camera for any kind of astrophotography. Obviously, most people use DSLRs or mirrorless cameras for DSO, but most people seem to use ZWO cams for Solar System imaging. The uncompressed video, high framerates, and such, give the planetary webcams an advantage. The sensor seems to be smaller in the webcams, but I don't know how that translates into pixel size. The Sony a6500 has a pixel size of 3.89um. Are these small pixels in comparison to the ZWO? I've always reasoned that smaller pixels give higher resolution, but gather less light. I don't know how flawed my reasoning is. Nonetheless, this is Jupiter at 14° above the horizon a few nights ago with my SkyWatcher SkyMax 180, captured with my Sony a6500. I'm using 4k video, and a digital zoom of 4x to crop in on the planet. Then I'm resizing the image down in post to give it a sharper feel. This seems to be working. Does anyone else here use a DSLR or mirrorless camera for Solar System imaging? What tricks work for you?

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20200808_000122_972.jpg

• Starman27, Jim Waters and Nikguy like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, planet

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics