Hello, I am posting here as this is literally my last hope before I return my mount.
I am just going to note everything I have done in the hope someone can point out something I may have missed, offer an alternative solution or confirm my mount is faulty.
So I got my mount a few days ago I then went on to do the following.
- Set tripod up
- attached mount head
- attached dovetail bar
- Attached weight extender and weights
- Attached 2/3 of the AZ screw in knobs that come with it (not sure where the 3rd one goes)
- attached my scope.
- turned my scope on its side so the polar alignment scope would become visible.
- turned my mount on whilst it was facing north/Polaris. (I had turned it on several times prior to this)
- Found Polaris in the polar scope and aligned it to the exact position as it appears on the app “polar alignment pro”. I set the app alignment to match that of a skywatcher mount and ignored the position of the numbers as they were different on the app compared to the polar scope on the mount.
- I turned the handset on and set up the correct date, time and elevation.
- i entered my coordinates in the format it requested. So my latitude went from 51.629088 to N 51.37 then my longitude went from -3.930358 to 003.55W.
I turned my scope back around so it was facing Polaris. I then began alignment and it was all totally out. I was using a 25mm plossl attached to my 8” Newtonian. (I am aware this scope isn’t the best for a set up but I am new to this and have spent £3000+ in 2 months on equipment. So I need to learn how to use it all properly before I spend more money on a proper scope.
I have an asi290mc, a 50mm guidescope, several explore scientific eyepieces and a powerful handheld laser. I also have a new high spec windows laptop with all the usual Astro software installed including ascom, eqmod, stelarium, sharpcap pro and Nina.
I have the correct cables to control my mount through my laptop.
If there is anything else you would like to know Please ask. I have spent 5 hours yesterday and 6 hours tonight trying to set this all up. I literally have no idea what I could be doing wrong. The only thing I can think of is how does the polar scope know if it is aligned with my attached scope. But this still does not explain why the alignment stars are soo off. For example I set it to Vega and it went to markab. It wasn’t even close.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Edited by Ricky-17, 08 August 2020 - 08:42 PM.