•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

APT - PHD2 disconnects after exposure

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Baskevo

Baskevo

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Orange County, CA

Posted 09 August 2020 - 03:44 AM

Hey guys,

I recently bought a new laptop for AP, and I was able to set everything up but I am having issues with APT and PHD2.

After every time APT finishes an exposure (I'm dithering on every other 300 second sub), PHD2 stops guiding. What is weird is that PHD2 still thinks it is guiding (according to the status on the bottom left of the window). the RMS error doesn't change and the graph doesn't change, and nothing happens. I have to manually stop guiding, reselect a guide star, and resume guiding.

I have tried messing with APT settings but I can't seem to find a fix. I've checked to make sure 'enable server' is ticked and that windows firewall isn't blocking PHD2 or APT, and I've tinkered with the settings. No go...

Has anyone run into this issue before?

Update: I think the problem is APT... It's acting really strange -- repeating the sounds like "exposure finished," and other stuff... Like focuser connected, even when it was already connected.

Edited by Baskevo, 09 August 2020 - 04:47 AM.

#2 Ettu

Ettu

Viking 1

• Loc: 45N90W Wisconsin USA

Posted 09 August 2020 - 12:15 PM

Just totally guessing...

Is there possibly a cable and connectivity, i.e. communication failures, issue?

Time and again, poor quality usb cables, turn out to be a problem that wasn't expected, but often is.

I had a weird issue recently, maybe related to yours, I had a Startech 7 port usb hub, and recently had a need for a second one. Turns out the pc wasn't capable of handling that many ports. Kept getting connect/ disconnect messages. Bought a new hub, upgraded the cable, finally through additional testing it became evident it was the pc that couldn't handle that many ports.

#3 Readerp

Readerp

Ranger 4

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 09 August 2020 - 01:49 PM

I had a similar issue. Replaced the camera usb cable and that fixed it.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics