•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Stellarium; sky is dark no matter what time it is (toggling Atmosphere icon doesn't fix this)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SimonIRE

SimonIRE

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: South East England

Posted 09 August 2020 - 06:04 AM

Sorry for the (probably) "you should have read the manual" question. 

In Stellarium, I have a permanent night sky, even during the day. If I toggle the Atmosphere icon it toggles showing and not showing sky objects (stars and DSO) but it has no effect on whether the sky is displayed as dark or light. 

My ideal set up would be normal daytime and nighttime sky brightness with stars and DSO displayed the same no matter whether its daytime (sky bright) or nighttime (sky dark). 

Could someone give me some steerage on this problem please.

Thanks

Simon

#2 StarBurger

StarBurger

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: North Country NY

Posted 09 August 2020 - 07:35 AM

Try as I might to duplicate this ( I love a challenge!) The Atmosphere switch icon works for me. I see a daylight sky toggle to dark and back again. 

The daylight sky shows only the sun and moon (if above the horizon). It should never show anything else that is not visible in daylight except constellation labels, lines and art can also be called up and seen for some reason...

I cranked every parameter in Stellarium that I thought may have an effect but with no change.

You might want to hit the "restore defaults" in config/main, and reboot and if that doesn't work then re-load Stellarium.

If you find the answer please let us know.

#3 obrazell

obrazell

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: United Kingdom

Posted 09 August 2020 - 07:42 AM

Is it possible you are have not got the time set to system time but to some fixed time when it is dark? Like the previous reply however when I pick the atmosphere icon it does switch from realistic to dark only.

#4 SimonIRE

SimonIRE

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 August 2020 - 07:44 AM

Thanks Guys...

I am going to give some of these suggestions a twirl. 

Keep safe!

#5 gzotti

gzotti

Stellarium

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Vienna, Austria

Posted 09 August 2020 - 11:25 AM

Have you pressed P inadvertently? This switches off planets, including sun and therefore sunlight.

#6 SimonIRE

SimonIRE

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 August 2020 - 11:46 AM

Hi All,

I downloaded it again and it works perfectly; doesn’t solve the mystery though. Thanks for all your responses.

Simon

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics