•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ES 12" Truss Dob secondary removal?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bthrel

bthrel

Vostok 1

• ****-
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Linden TN

Posted 09 August 2020 - 06:30 AM

Need to clean the secondary on my ES 12" dob. To remove it do you just hold on to the secondary on the sides and unscrew the 3 knobs? Anything else fall out when you do this like springs I assume?.. Also putting back I any measurement I need to take to get it back close to the original position?

Thanks

Brian 

#2 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 09 August 2020 - 11:12 AM

Need to clean the secondary on my ES 12" dob. (1)To remove it do you just hold on to the secondary on the sides and unscrew the 3 knobs? (2)Anything else fall out when you do this like springs I assume?.. (3)Also putting back I any measurement I need to take to get it back close to the original position?

Thanks

Brian 

(1)yes.

(2)yes, so watch where the springs go and make sure they don't get lost.

(3)measure the gap between the plate attached to the secondary and the plate pinching the spider blades.  When you put it back, start there.

This technique works fine:

https://www.youtube....h?v=9Y8xFnXFVGQ

Edited by Starman1, 09 August 2020 - 11:13 AM.

#3 bthrel

bthrel

Vostok 1

• ****-
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Linden TN

Posted 09 August 2020 - 04:32 PM

Thanks Don,

Exactly how I was going to do it except with a final rinse of distilled water to help with no water drop drying spots ( I hope)

#4 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 09 August 2020 - 04:47 PM

Yes, always finish with a good rinsing with distilled water.

He does that in the video as well.

As to whether a hair dryer (no heat) should be used to blow off the water droplets, that's up to you.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics