•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mount upgrade for improved alignment and goto

astrophotography Celestron equipment imaging mount SCT
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 glancey

glancey

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Santa Ana, CA, USA

Posted 09 August 2020 - 03:15 PM

After reading all the message threads on this topic and devouring the how-to videos on YouTube, I'm more confused than ever about upgrading my AVX mount to obtain better hassle-free alignment and guiding accuracy.

I do both short exposure EAA and long-exposure guiding from the light-pollution of my yard in populated Southern California. I'm looking for an upgrade in the $1500 to $3000 range to carry my Celestron C8, ZWO ASI294 Pro, Orion guide camera and scope, and any and all necessary extenders, electronic focusers, computers and reducers/barlows depending on planetary or DSO targets.

I also want enough headroom for future-proofing, should I want a beefier scope. And I'm no expert on mount mechanics, RA error, stepper vs whatever motors, Chinese manufacturing vs Japanese vs German vs Domestic. I'm just looking for a consensus on mounts in my radar:

• Celestron CGX
  • iOptron CEM40 and CEM70
  • EQR-6-Pro
  • Losmandy G8, G811
  • Any others I may have missed in my price and capability range

I'm disappointed that few if any mounts have upgraded to USB3.0 connectivity. USB2 doesn't cut it with today's 4k CMOS cameras. I'm also concerned about initial quality. A read a lot of complaints on this forum about issues with brand-new mounts coming from the manufacturer. And then there's the goto software and internal elecronics. I use Celestron drivers, CPWI and Starsense, and while not perfect, there are frequent upgrades to fix issues. I've never used EQMOD, so no nothing about it's capabilities nor how well it interfaces with third-party astro-imaging software. Losmandy's Gemini II, I'm told, has the feel of an add-on to a fine piece of mechanical engineering, which to me is not a good overall endorsement.

So, which mount is it, that gets the overall good-housekeeping seal of approval. Help me to decide.

#2 Sandy Swede

Sandy Swede

Ranger 4

• Loc: Delaware beaches

Posted 09 August 2020 - 03:50 PM

Although I am not as far along the AP track as you, I am going through the same decision making process.  Currently, I am 95% on the the Losmandy GM811G w/HD tripod.  I was hot on the iOptron GEM45 and possibly the CEM70, but U.S. manuf quality and support are worth the extra $ to me.  YMMV.

#3 Lola Bruce

Lola Bruce

Apollo

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 09 August 2020 - 04:17 PM

Losmandy all the way in your price point. Plus they are in Burbank all most local for you.

Bruce

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, Celestron, equipment, imaging, mount, SCT

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics