•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Et Ting On The Astroscan!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 RLK1

RLK1

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 August 2020 - 07:26 PM

https://www.youtube....h?v=b7jtjWZ17Do

Another cool Ed Ting video!

Edited by RLK1, 09 August 2020 - 07:36 PM.

• Jim7728, Ernesto.Nicola and ollie31770 like this

#2 Jim7728

Jim7728

Cosmos

• Loc: Stoop Landing Observatory, NYC

Posted 10 August 2020 - 09:47 AM

Thanks for posting.  I did not know Ed Ting was putting new content up on youtube.

I always had a fascination with the Astroscan when it first came out and almost bought one a few times not knowing fully of it's shortcomings.   I've since indulged in that type of scope with the Celestron One Sky 5"reflector which I think has reached cult status.smile.gif

#3 kfiscus

kfiscus

Baltic Birch Dob Bases

• Vendors
  • Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA

Posted 10 August 2020 - 12:05 PM

I fell in love with the Astroscan and bought it as my first real scope in 1980 or 81.  I did the whole non-Virgo Messier List with it.  As a side note, I believe Mork of "Mork and Mindy" had an Astroscan in his bedroom as a prop and inside joke.

#4 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 10 August 2020 - 01:44 PM

Thanks for posting.  I did not know Ed Ting was putting new content up on youtube.

I always had a fascination with the Astroscan when it first came out and almost bought one a few times not knowing fully of it's shortcomings.   I've since indulged in that type of scope with the Celestron One Sky 5"reflector which I think has reached cult status.smile.gif

You made the right move.  

I think Ed's review treated the scope more like a novelty/collector item and I think that was a nice thing.  He did not really say that much about using the scope.

I had an Astroscan in the early 80s. It was what I consider to have been my first "serious" telescopes, with my actual first scope being a 50mm refractor on a mount that was so horrible that the scope was useless.

About five or six years ago, in a fit of nostalgia, I bought another one and was quickly reminded of the shortcomings of this scope.

The focuser is horrible.  There really is no other way to say it.  The tube simply slips against the edges of the hole the tube rides in and is driven by a metal shaft with a piece of flexible tubing around it to provide traction.  Backlash and rubbery motion.

The coma is awful. If you use eyepieces like the RKE, Plossls, or other simple types, the astigmatism from the eyepieces will be worse than the coma from the scope.  If you use an eyepiece that is well corrected at f/4 (like a 12mm Nagler) the coma is enough to rumble your stomach. 

The mirror cannot be collmated.   The mirror support is ribbing molded into the wall of the ball, and the mirror is retained by a giant C clip. It is hard to get out and makes the mirror very difficult to clean. 

The window, like most windows, is prone to dew. Here it is a simple float glass circular disk with no correction. 

As Ed suggests, it is not always easy to find a place to set it for use.  Now the good thing is that pictures used to show people using it in their laps and that does indeed work.  But I could hold my Comet Cather in my lap too, and the Comet Catcher is a far better scope than the Astroscan and the scope that I would recommend to someone that wanted the "Richest Field" experience promised by the Astroscan marketing. 

Ed's review was excellent though.  I took it as really just a look at what makes the scope unique and his focus on the collectability of the scope I thought was exactly appropraite because as with in my own case, these are probably often purchased out of nostalgia.

Of the two, if you asked me which I would rather see back in production, it would be the Comet Catcher updated with a modern low profile focuser and XLT coatings

Edited by Eddgie, 10 August 2020 - 01:46 PM.

• Jim7728 and Ernesto.Nicola like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics