•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Downsize from CPC11

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mike174

mike174

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Central, NJ

Posted 09 August 2020 - 08:14 PM

Hi,

I'd like to get something that's lighter and more portable than my 65lb CPC11. I'm considering either a CPC8 or Evolution 8. I would think the fork arms provide more stability than the one-armed bandit, hi.

Also, I'd love to have a Mewlon after looking through a 250 years ago. How would a 210 with a AZ mount like the iOptron Pro work together? Put the AT6K on a AZ mount?

Tnx,

Mike

Edited by mike174, 09 August 2020 - 08:55 PM.

#2 Michael Harris

Michael Harris

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Kentucky, USA

Posted 09 August 2020 - 10:40 PM

The Evolution fork arm is pretty sturdy, better mechanically than the NexStar SE mount. I got the Evolution 8 for similar reasons and it is quite portable even for an old guy like me. I got a soft bag case for the tube and a rolling case used for photography light stands to hold the tripod, mount head, and other bits. The CPC 11 is surely a beast, we have one recently donated to our astronomy club and although it looks like a fine instrument it is not what I would call “grab and go.”

• Jim4321 likes this

#3 Newbutnotreallynew

Newbutnotreallynew

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 10 August 2020 - 09:37 AM

I have grand plans.... to one day own the CPC1100 but it involves modifications to our home and conservatory to observatory conversions... lol.gif

I'll be honest it seems like an impossible ask now but owning a telescope of any calibre let alone one the price of the evo 8", seemed like an impossibility 20 years ago. So that's my plan and I'm living in full hope waytogo.gif

(I'll be so weird to still be active on this forum in 20 years time and re read this post again... wonder if I'll have attained it)! 

#4 mrki233

mrki233

Vostok 1

• Loc: Carlsbad, CA

Posted 10 August 2020 - 11:12 AM

I have both the CPC 1100 and the CPC 800HD.  As you point out, the 1100 is truly a beast to move.  I'm in good shape for a soon-to-be old guy, but moving the 1100 always requires extra effort.  You get rewarded, though, with outstanding views!  The CPC800 is about 45 lbs and much easier to move than the 1100.  I find myself grabbing the 800 more, just because it is easier to transport.  The 800 does not have the image scale, contrast and reach that the 1100 has, but it does offer outstanding views in its own right.  

You'll be happy with the 800 in CPC or Evo form.  I've looked at the Evo, but there's just something about the dual arm design of the CPC that speaks to me.  cool.gif

#5 mike174

mike174

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 August 2020 - 05:42 PM

The Evolution fork arm is pretty sturdy, better mechanically than the NexStar SE mount. I got the Evolution 8 for similar reasons and it is quite portable even for an old guy like me. I got a soft bag case for the tube and a rolling case used for photography light stands to hold the tripod, mount head, and other bits. The CPC 11 is surely a beast, we have one recently donated to our astronomy club and although it looks like a fine instrument it is not what I would call “grab and go.”

Which version of the Evolution did you get? I see there's one with and without "Starsense" and HD.

#6 mike174

mike174

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 August 2020 - 06:05 PM

I have both the CPC 1100 and the CPC 800HD.  As you point out, the 1100 is truly a beast to move.  I'm in good shape for a soon-to-be old guy, but moving the 1100 always requires extra effort.  You get rewarded, though, with outstanding views!  The CPC800 is about 45 lbs and much easier to move than the 1100.  I find myself grabbing the 800 more, just because it is easier to transport.  The 800 does not have the image scale, contrast and reach that the 1100 has, but it does offer outstanding views in its own right.  

You'll be happy with the 800 in CPC or Evo form.  I've looked at the Evo, but there's just something about the dual arm design of the CPC that speaks to me.  cool.gif

When did you purchase your CPC's? I'm also thinking of putting my AT6M on a AltAz mount for quick grab and go.

#7 Michael Harris

Michael Harris

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Kentucky, USA

Posted 10 August 2020 - 07:35 PM

Which version of the Evolution did you get? I see there's one with and without "Starsense" and HD.

I got one of the original models of the Evolution 8, the HD scopes had not been introduced yet. I added the StarSense as an accessory, and recommend it. Over the years I have upgraded to a FeatherTouch focuser and added a Telrad finder. Also switched to a 2” diagonal and added a nice William Optics 40mm wide field eyepiece, that I use all the time. As you can see, this is definitely an accessorizing hobby.

#8 mrki233

mrki233

Vostok 1

• Loc: Carlsbad, CA

Posted 10 August 2020 - 08:24 PM

When did you purchase your CPC's? I'm also thinking of putting my AT6M on a AltAz mount for quick grab and go.

The 1100 is about 9 years old and still going strong.  The 800 is only a few months old.  Both are great scopes and are a joy to use.  The motors on the 1100 are very quiet and virtually silent when tracking.  The 800's motors are 'mostly' quiet and you hear a slight motor gurgle when tracking.  Optically, they are both excellent.  As far as the 800 goes, everything you've likely read about HD optics is true!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics