•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First Try with mono camera - advice / pointers welcome

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Phishin_phool

Phishin_phool

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Ohio

Posted 09 August 2020 - 08:37 PM

So I finally got some clear skies and broke out my new mono camera. This was quite a feat as I went from Sony mirrorless A7iii and Stellarium to nearly fully automated in NINA with a new QHY183m and LRGB filters. I have been going out and setting up and practicing alignment and finding objects.

I was imaging in my backyard where there are neighbor porch lights , bortle 7-8 skies and a lot of obstruction but I can see polaris and after successful polar aligning in sharpcap I chose something high in the sky that wasn't obstructed - Pelican Nebula. So after getting everything connected and inputting my target and sequence in NINA I was able to slew and plate solve effectively. Earlier in the day I took 10, 3 minute darks at -20c. I just got a manual filter wheel and some inexpensive 1.25 LRGB filters and took 20 3 min L, 10 3 min R, 17 3 min g (I got caught in a meridian flip and lost my last 3 G so after the flip I just  redid my sequence of 10 so 17), 10 3 min B. Wasn't going to wait until dawn for flats so I skipped them this time - will do in the future along with bias frames.

This is my first ever mono shoot and also first mono process. I am a total newbie at processing in general but I think the results were fair It looks like my guiding was pretty good even though the rms wasn't great and I think I came pretty close on the spacing with my flattener, wheel extension tubes and camera. Telescope is WO Z71 with 6a flattener and ZWO ASI120 mini camera on orion 50mm guidescope.

RGB with no L added

50208789602_8ae999d9ed_c.jpg

LRGB - bloating of stars

50208511051_7db4549d70_c.jpg

A few issues - why do my stars 'bloat' so much when  add L but not in just plain RGB. It is obviously going to take some time to get used to stretching, processing and combining - this was done with DSS and Photoshop.

All things considered learning getting everything properly configured (set-up tear down every session for me) Sharpcap, NINA, Stellarium, PHD2, multiple cameras, I am glad to come away with an image but I know there is still such a long way to go.  All advice , critiques, pointers welcome

Edited by Phishin_phool, 09 August 2020 - 08:51 PM.

• mikewayne3 likes this

#2 AZ Maverick

AZ Maverick

Viking 1

• Loc: Prescott, Arizona

Posted 09 August 2020 - 08:48 PM

Looking good for your first time out.

Bortle 7-8 is a killer!

Bloated stars are a VERY common problem, usually caused by over-stretching to bring out data.

You can reduce the bloat a bit by gathering more data but still star bloat with the stretch is always a pain to avoid.

If you are processing in Photoshop you can try using a starmask to help reduce the bloat, I use this technique at times when my star bloat is bad -

https://www.youtube....h?v=UZlpDFsugYk

• Maxtrixbass likes this

#3 Phishin_phool

Phishin_phool

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Ohio

Posted 10 August 2020 - 06:53 PM

So I went back and tried re-editing the data - not sure why the crop/ framing is so different but I think I like this try a little better

50212231516_a4a8270b07_c.jpg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics