Howdy everyone, I finally got a couple of semi-clear nights over the past week or so. I took the opportunity to grab some time on NGC6888. I had captured this last year with my DSLR and an STC-Duo filter. I was fairly happy with that shot, but I was hopeful that the QHY168C might give me the opportunity to pull out more of the OIII shell around the nebula. Well, the first night was the day after full-moon, so that was asking a bit much. The second night provided better sky, but the combined 6 hours or so of usable exposures from the two night still left me wanting more. Then I went crazy.
I pulled in the subs from last year into one massive stack. That's the first time I've tried to integrate shots from differing setups; both the cameras and scopes were different here. This also gave me a total of 12 hours of usable exposure time which is the most I've ever integrated by far.
So, I've processed this 6 ways from Sunday by now and need some feedback. The most extreme is done with an eye towards bringing out the OIII as much as possible, but could very well be too much. Then there's a more moderate treatment that still has some of the blue/green tint, and then finally one that is pretty dominated by HA. I'd love opinions on which seems most appropriate.
Here are the shot details and then the various revisions.
NGC6888 - The Crescent Nebula
Cameras: QHY168C / Canon T5i (modded)
Scopes: AT65EDQ / William Optics 66SD
Mount: EQ6-R Pro / CEM25P
Exposures: 12 hours of 4 minute subs at gain 10 / 800 ISO, all auto-guided
bias, flats, and darks
Filters: Optolong L-Enhance / STC Duo
Software: N.I.N.A, BackyardEOS, PHD2, AstroTortilla, Astro Pixel Processor, Photoshop
Extreme OIII Accent:
Moderate (Only data from the QHY):
Conservative/HA dominant (Again just QHY data):
Let me know what you think!