•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Lunar imaging

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Flyingsnow

Flyingsnow

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Hicksville, Long Island, New York

Posted 09 August 2020 - 09:58 PM

I use a ZWO asi120mc-s color camera.
I’ve noticed that even though I use RGB to capture in sharpcap that very often that my captures are in b&w.
This bothers me somewhat as I like to tease out the colors for a nice mineral Moon. This had been most annoying when I created a 10 panel mosaic and ended up with one that was b&w.
So my question is...
How do I make sure that my captures are in color??
Does it have anything to do with histogram?
Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you

#2 Flyingsnow

Flyingsnow

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 August 2020 - 10:01 PM

This is an early morning 4 panel mosaic I captured about a month ago. 
color isn’t a problem with blue skies. Only at night 

Attached Thumbnails

• A4A247F8-EF6F-4DB5-B2E2-65F969AF8BCA.jpeg

• Kenny V. likes this

#3 Tom Glenn

Tom Glenn

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 09 August 2020 - 11:22 PM

What are you using to stack the videos, and are you sure the videos are actually recorded as grayscale, or are they just not being debayered during stacking? 

#4 Flyingsnow

Flyingsnow

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 August 2020 - 12:12 AM

What are you using to stack the videos, and are you sure the videos are actually recorded as grayscale, or are they just not being debayered during stacking? 

I process them in PIPP "solar/lunar close up" and I make sure to uncheck the "convert colour to monochrome".

But then when import into RegiStax it tells me that the data is in B&W. which tells me that the capture was in B&W because i tried to process it in to color. it doesn't always happen but it isn't consistent. This is what i am looking for consistency.

I feel like i am missing something simple here.

When I capture I usually go for about 75-80 gain (out of 100)

then i adjust the exposure until i get about 50% histogram or so the image doesn't look blown out anywhere 

#5 Tom Glenn

Tom Glenn

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 10 August 2020 - 02:25 AM

When it is displayed as grayscale, is there a visible bayer matrix (checkerboard pattern)?  Try downloading Autostakkert (version AS!3), and load the video files directly into that program, bypassing PIPP and Registax entirely.  AS!3 will debayer the raw video for you.  Everyone uses AS!3 these days for stacking.  I don't know what is happening to your videos, but if they were recorded as AVI or SER files, the raw file should have a visible bayer matrix even if it's displayed as monochrome.  

• Flyingsnow likes this

#6 Tulloch

Tulloch

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 10 August 2020 - 02:51 AM

PIPP does something to the files so that AS!3 is unable to automatically recognise the bayer format. If you must use PIPP, then you will need to force the correct bayer matrix in AS!3 to make it work.

• Flyingsnow likes this

#7 Flyingsnow

Flyingsnow

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 August 2020 - 02:54 PM

Yes I do see the bayer pattern but only sometimes. I just ran through 6 files last night and only one showed the bayer pattern. Idk. I suppose I’ll have to get AS!3 and give it a go. Thank you for the help

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics